1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

UHD Review Batman UHD Review

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Todd Erwin, Jun 4, 2019.

1. CRW

CRW Auditioning

Chris
    There's a comedic undertow to the film that undercuts the more dramatic scenes and that says "this is just a comic book movie and the stakes aren't real." Contrast that with the "The Dark Knight" and the Joker and every action in that film has consequences, sometimes fatal ones. The stakes are very real in "DK".

2. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Lead Actor

The song "Batdance" never appears in the film. "Partyman" appears during the museum sequence, and "Trust" plays during the parade...

Brian Kidd likes this.
  3. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

I agree (and said it slightly differently earlier in the thread). Everything needs to be judged in the context of the time it was released. It's easy to look at The Beatles (especially the early albums) and Elvis right now as simple pop/rock. But they were very controversial/edgy at the time because American sensibilities in the 60s was very different than what it is today.

While Burton's Batmans may not have aged well for me, I don't think they owe anyone an apology or explanation for what they were at the time they were released, which was a stark departure from any previous screen depiction of the titular character. Even though I prefer now the Nolan films, I can unabashedly admit I enjoyed the heck out of them in my teens and early twenties.

4. English Invader

English Invader Stunt Coordinator

Simon
    There is also Alan Moore's The Killing Joke which is where I rest my case for those who say comic books aren't a true art form. A Death in the Family shouldn't be overlooked either.

Osato likes this.
  5. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Cinematographer
    Supporter

Agreed. I much prefer Nolan's films, as well. In my opinion, he's a far-more-talented director than Burton is. (Though I still consider much of Burton's early work to be wonderful.) I look at the late-80's/early-90's Batman films in the context of the time when they were made and how they affected me as a young adult when they were released. Certainly, my opinions of the films are influenced by Nostalgia Goggles, but watching them now, I feel like there is much to appreciate about the talents of the people who made them and how they continue to work as mass-market entertainment that had more thought put into them than the typical blockbuster. Well, maybe 2.25 of them. Batman Forever has some aspects that I appreciate and enjoy, though it was really obvious, even back then, that the series was making a massive tonal shift from the two films that had come before. I didn't even bother to see Bat Nipple-palooza when it was released because I had heard it was so terrible. When I finally caught up with it on home video, I saw that I hadn't missed anything. That film was so insulting to my intelligence that, to this day, the sight of Akiva Goldsman's name on a screenplay makes me shudder. I also used to kind of like Joel Schumacher's films up to that point because, though they weren't Art, he had an off-kilter sensibility that tended to make the end result more entertaining than it might have been if handled by a more-conventional director. I gave up on him after Batman & Robin, though. His output since then hasn't given me any reason to change my mind.