Batman: The Movie (special Edition)

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Dave Poehlman, Oct 22, 2003.

1. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Sorry all you Tim Burton/Michael Keaton fans, but I'm referring to the 1966 Adam West/Burt Ward film.

I just picked this up the other day at Target for something like $6.99 for my kid and I just wanted to offer up my meager review.

If you're a fan of Adam West's Batman, this disk has a great transfer! (Anamorphic 1.85:1) The colors are vibrant and the picture is sharp and really capture the 60's feel to the film. There are a few scenes that highlight the qrainyness I'm sure was present in the original film (particularly during the fight scene when words like "POW" fly up on the screen... a side effect of the way the FX worked in those days, I suppose). But for the most part the picture is crystal clear.

The sound says 2 channel stereo, but I didn't really hear any separation... I believe the original film would have been in mono anyway.

I breezed through the 2 extras, one is a short blurb about the original Batmobile, and another is a behind the scenes with interviews of the cast members.

I have yet to listen to the commentary with Adam West and Burt Ward. But it should be entertaining to hear West's love for playing this role.

The quality of this transfer makes me hopeful for a decent set of the TV episodes someday.

2. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

You could have gotten it at Wal-Mart for $5.88, but yes good DVD available at a very nice price.

3. MartinTeller

MartinTeller Screenwriter

The commentary is a real hoot. Any fan of the Adam West series should pick up this disc, especially at the bargain price it's been going for.

4. DaveyM

DaveyM Stunt Coordinator

It is a great DVD, and the commentary is alot of fun. I prefer the 60's Batman to the newer films. The newer films have a darker, serious, more violent tone..something that doesnt quite work for me when your main character is a guy that dresses up as a bat and fights crime while wearing a cape. I'll take Adam West and Burt Ward anytime over Michael Keaton or George Clooney.

Davey M.

5. Moe Maishlish

Moe Maishlish Supporting Actor

This is one of those movies where you have to revel in the camp to enjoy it. Otherwise it's a painful & cringe inducing viewing experience to have to sit through.

I'm not a big fan of camp, but I enjoyed this flick for what it was. Bat-Shark Repellant anyone? [​IMG]

6. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

7. Michael St. Clair

Bat-Mite, Bat-Hound, and Krypto the Super Dog walk into a bar...

The 50s DC comics were silly as hell.

8. ChrisBEA

ChrisBEA Screenwriter

This disk is a blast, of course I do prefere Burton's take. I CAN'T WAIT for the Christopher Nolan/David Goyer/Christian Bale/ and possibly Dennis Quaid and John Malkovich take!! Sound perfect to me!

9. Robert Floto

Robert Floto Supporting Actor

What is this about Dennis Quaid and John Malkovich? I hadn't heard anything...

10. Chad A Wright

Chad A Wright Supporting Actor

Dennis Quaid may be in the running for Commissioner Gordon (which I think is just perfect). I believe Malkovich is being considered for Ras'

The 60's disc is wonderful. My brother and I started watching the 60's batman around '89 when the Burton movie came out. At the time we loved anything Batman, so it was the best. Most of the fun of watching it now is nostalgia related.