What's new

Batman: The Movie (special Edition) (1 Viewer)

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Sorry all you Tim Burton/Michael Keaton fans, but I'm referring to the 1966 Adam West/Burt Ward film.

I just picked this up the other day at Target for something like $6.99 for my kid and I just wanted to offer up my meager review.

If you're a fan of Adam West's Batman, this disk has a great transfer! (Anamorphic 1.85:1) The colors are vibrant and the picture is sharp and really capture the 60's feel to the film. There are a few scenes that highlight the qrainyness I'm sure was present in the original film (particularly during the fight scene when words like "POW" fly up on the screen... a side effect of the way the FX worked in those days, I suppose). But for the most part the picture is crystal clear.

The sound says 2 channel stereo, but I didn't really hear any separation... I believe the original film would have been in mono anyway.

I breezed through the 2 extras, one is a short blurb about the original Batmobile, and another is a behind the scenes with interviews of the cast members.

I have yet to listen to the commentary with Adam West and Burt Ward. But it should be entertaining to hear West's love for playing this role.

The quality of this transfer makes me hopeful for a decent set of the TV episodes someday.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
You could have gotten it at Wal-Mart for $5.88, but yes good DVD available at a very nice price.

MartinTeller

Screenwriter
The commentary is a real hoot. Any fan of the Adam West series should pick up this disc, especially at the bargain price it's been going for.

DaveyM

Stunt Coordinator
It is a great DVD, and the commentary is alot of fun. I prefer the 60's Batman to the newer films. The newer films have a darker, serious, more violent tone..something that doesnt quite work for me when your main character is a guy that dresses up as a bat and fights crime while wearing a cape. I'll take Adam West and Burt Ward anytime over Michael Keaton or George Clooney.

Davey M.

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor
This is one of those movies where you have to revel in the camp to enjoy it. Otherwise it's a painful & cringe inducing viewing experience to have to sit through.

I'm not a big fan of camp, but I enjoyed this flick for what it was. Bat-Shark Repellant anyone? ;)

It is a great DVD, and the commentary is alot of fun. I prefer the 60's Batman to the newer films. The newer films have a darker, serious, more violent tone..something that doesnt quite work for me when your main character is a guy that dresses up as a bat and fights crime while wearing a cape.
The classic & conventional Batman character has never been a light-hearted romp though the criminal underworld, as portrayed in the 60's Batman series. Although I can't say that Tim Burton's adaptation of the character is completely accurate (forget Joel Shumacher's stinkfests), they're a lot closer to the character's dark & vengeful motivations than anything previously produced.

Now, if you *really* want to get a feel for the Batman character, one need look no further than the Batman Animated Series. That Batman is spot-on exactly how the character should be.

Moe.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
The classic & conventional Batman character has never been a light-hearted romp though the criminal underworld, as portrayed in the 60's Batman series. Although I can't say that Tim Burton's adaptation of the character is completely accurate (forget Joel Shumacher's stinkfests), they're a lot closer to the character's dark & vengeful motivations than anything previously produced.
have to disagree here.
up until the mid sixties, the majority of Batmans romps in the comics were exceptionally inane- especially throughout the 50's.
the very early Detective comics stories were more violent, pulpy, gothic, but it wasn't long (just a few years) before the formula of batman almost always consited of a fight or chase around ridiculouly large props, and batman interacting with the authorities with the same kind of nonchalance as seen in the series.
up until they gave Batman a 'new look' shortly before the series premiered, the Tv was not only a faithful translation of the source, but actually done with far more wit and sophistication than had been seen in the comics (for more than 2 decades).

it may look silly many times from a post late 60's relevant point-of-view, but it was as faithful a translation of its source as anything has ever been.

i do agree with you about the animated show though.
Timm and Dini and co, really put a lot of thought into the characters and to me, their work rises above the original source more often than not.

don't have much regard for any of the live action films.
will be interested to see how Nolans take pans out though.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
This disk is a blast, of course I do prefere Burton's take. I CAN'T WAIT for the Christopher Nolan/David Goyer/Christian Bale/ and possibly Dennis Quaid and John Malkovich take!! Sound perfect to me!

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor
Dennis Quaid may be in the running for Commissioner Gordon (which I think is just perfect). I believe Malkovich is being considered for Ras'

The 60's disc is wonderful. My brother and I started watching the 60's batman around '89 when the Burton movie came out. At the time we loved anything Batman, so it was the best. Most of the fun of watching it now is nostalgia related.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks