What's new

Batman The Complete TV Series Limited Edition (11/11)(Blu-ray)(DVD) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Guy Foulard

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
Jason_V said:
I just pulled the trigger. There's plenty of time to cancel if my mind changes, but $189 for 120 episodes (and I already own Batman: The Movie)...why not?
I agree--plenty of time to cancel. The price may go up (they often do after the initial discount), and if it goes down, the pre-order price guarantee will take that into account. I'll make my final decision the week before the release date. I'm really looking forward to seeing some nice remastered blu-ray prints of this show...and I'm sure the extras are going to be impressive.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I also understand the breakdown on pricing. I always try to shoot for $1 or less an episode. Depending on the show I might go above that for a strong favorite or something i just don't want to wait for, but in other cases by waiting I can get below that when the need isn't as strong.

The reality is that many that frequent these forums are collectors that still have to abide by some aspect of a budget. As collectors many here have multiple seasons across 100's of different shows. The difference between averaging $1 an episodes and $2 an episode for a single release is nothing, but across an entire collection while still trying to be budget conscious is a major impact.

Like any other new release, those that jump right in either have a larger financial pool to work from, or this is a major release they have been waiting for. Those that don't either have to be more fiscally responsible or it is closer to a nice to have at the right price. For me, this is a nice to have at the right price.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I've preordered and will continue to follow pricing at Amazon and other etailers. I can always cancel. I will be looking forward to press releases and reviews to get a clear picture as to what I'm getting for the $188.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
$63 for a whole season on Blu-Ray is still less than what a full season of "Gunsmoke" on regular DVD would cost from CBS/Paramount.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Jack P said:
$63 for a whole season on Blu-Ray is still less than what a full season of "Gunsmoke" on regular DVD would cost from CBS/Paramount.
Not if you buy it from Sam's Club. In the past they've been $20 a volume on release day. :)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I think all these television sets are initially priced for the die-hard
fans that don't put a cost on anything. They just want it yesterday.

Surprisingly, there are people that will pay that kind of money for
Gunsmoke, I imagine.

When Star Trek: The Next Generation Blu-rays were released I
thought they were exorbitantly overpriced, though I knew the amount
of work that went into those sets. The fans bought 'em at full price
on day one. I only had to wait 2-3 months for a substantial price drop.

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Gregory
I think we shoudl all be grateful it's not some damn exclusive deal like only through Time-Life - those are a pain in the butt for people outside the USA/Canada because they don;t accept orders from or ship outside there, but it also means they're not subject to the usual discount pressures as the stores compete for sales or look to shift unsold stock to make room for new stuff coming in.

The Six Million Dollar Man set was a Time-Life only and it sat at the same price for ages,until Time-Life themselve shad a sale and even then the discount wasn't huge.

At least you guys in the USA/Canada don;t have the added joy of getting stiffed by import taxes. Those will add another 20% for anyone here in the Uk buying one of these!

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Jack P said:
There is not a single Sam's Club in my area.
Gunsmoke season 9 volumes were available from Amazon @ $14 a volume just this past May.

But that wasn't really the reason for my post anyway. It just always seem likes when WB is getting picked on, for whatever reason, it isn't long before a CBS jab comes into play. I suppose the same can be said with a CBS thread. These two studios both have strong advocators for the most likely reason in that they have provided certain favorite releases for their perspective fans. As a result, they appear to be tightly coupled to each other when criticisms start flying. Just an observation on my part.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
BTW, I think a more appropriate comparison would probably be the recent TAGS and ILL blu-ray releases. Both of these are 30 minute sitcoms making their first appearance on blu-ray with lots of extras. Both also took a lot of heat for their high pricing. From what i recall they both started out on Amazon with an initial $90 price before going up to $120 and back down to $60 at release (based on final BB and Target pricing). Most people waited for price drops as well, and i suspect many are still waiting for additional price reductions.

Basing Batman at more like 4 seasons worth of content with the longer second season that comes to about $47 a season. At the current pricing i would put that as pretty much a wash between the two pricing models since I would generally expect a larger discount when having to pick up a complete series at one time. However, if further reduced by the release date, WB's could be considered better pricing then what CBS has tried to initiate with their most recent blu-ray releases.

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
Count me in as another who will wait for a price drop. Loved the show when I was a kid, but not enough to spend that much coin at this time. I'll certainly own the set........just not this year.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
smithbrad said:
BTW, I think a more appropriate comparison would probably be the recent TAGS and ILL blu-ray releases. Both of these are 30 minute sitcoms making their first appearance on blu-ray with lots of extras.
That's definitely a good example of comparable but pricier sets.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
smithbrad said:
BTW, I think a more appropriate comparison would probably be the recent TAGS and ILL blu-ray releases. Both of these are 30 minute sitcoms making their first appearance on blu-ray with lots of extras. Both also took a lot of heat for their high pricing. From what i recall they both started out on Amazon with an initial $90 price before going up to $120 and back down to $60 at release (based on final BB and Target pricing). Most people waited for price drops as well, and i suspect many are still waiting for additional price reductions.

Basing Batman at more like 4 seasons worth of content with the longer second season that comes to about $47 a season. At the current pricing i would put that as pretty much a wash between the two pricing models since I would generally expect a larger discount when having to pick up a complete series at one time. However, if further reduced by the release date, WB's could be considered better pricing then what CBS has tried to initiate with their most recent blu-ray releases.
*But* both TAGS and ILL had prior DVD releases which made those high BR prices seem even more inflated. Had they been released on BR *first* at those prices people may have complained but would have purchased them anyway. Batman is getting its first release so the comparison doesn't truly work well as I'd fully expect a higher price at initial release. Yes, I suspect it will receive a price drop - probably during the first year - but the current selling price is not all that bad when compared to other recent series. I have a pre-order in place but if the price doesn't drop enough to suit me before the sale date I will be cancelling it and waiting for a lower one.

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
I'll be waiting a bit as well. Hopefully the high SRP is a good indicator of the time and money spent to clear all the issues.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
I'd recommend preordering now and letting it stew for a few months. Amazon has that "low price guarantee" thing going in that if the price drops at any time, even for a day, the preorder will be locked on the lower price. Kinda like what happened with the Rodgers & Hammerstein set this past April. This set might drop around $100 before release day, if only briefly.

If it doesn't drop low enough you can always cancel it.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
I find myself hesitating too, but not due to price. Make no mistake, I WILL get the show, just a question of when. I'm waiting to hear from Comic-Con about what the LE will contain and then it's just a case of balancing the checkbook. Wonder Years will be out a month later and both would take Jaws sized bites from my wallet. If all else fails, maybe Wonder Years moves to a Christmas present request while I pick up Batman. I honestly won't know until a few weeks before release probably. Such is life and finances, unfortunately.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I have order the set as it is must have for my collection. I have all the old batman cartoons now as such I am looking forward to this release as way to close circle on my batman collection.
I was too young or not born when Batman first aired, but I did see the show in re-runs during the late 1970s and early 1980s via YTV. I used to run home from school to watched batman..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks