What's new

Batman The Complete TV Series Limited Edition (11/11)(Blu-ray)(DVD) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Yes, it was on the TV Land Canada set. This scene has always been a part of the reruns.I should have added that the "next week's tag" *was* still in there which makes the omission of this scene all the more baffling.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
It is possible that your player is reacting to it as an Easter egg or believes it is hidden content, or it is content not "set" to play? I authored a DVD once that had this problem: the content was there, but was hidden unless played from a certain menu. We caught it on a check disc and corrected it. What you report sounds like an authoring error but the content may be accessible with a different setting.

Just a guess.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I have the Blu-Ray. There's no other menu I can access. It is clear this is an authoring screwup because it's supposed to be five chapters and the end of the episode before the missing tag scene is Chapter 3. So we should have had Chapter 4 for the tag then Chapter 5 for the end credits. But the display shows the end credits for Chapter 4 and there is nothing when you go to Chapter 5 because the episode is over. The timing display on my machine shows the incorrect short time of 24:17.Warner needs to fix this and send out a replacement disc. The only saving grace for me at this point is that this is not one of my favorite episodes so I will not let that dampen my enjoyment of the others for now but it is really disappointing that a company that can reliably produce consistently good work on their Archive releases dropped the ball on their most important release ever (maybe a little less time wasted on producing those mostly worthless extras would have helped).

ponset

Screenwriter
Real Name
scott
I got my order from BATMANONDVD.COM this past monday.
Have watched the 1st 12 episodes from Season 1. BEAUTIFUL!!! :D

Also watched the BATGIRL Pilot.
It was OK, nice introduction to Barbara Gordon.
That custome for Killer Moth was terrible. :eek:

dhammer

Second Unit
Real Name
David
I ordered my set the first day you were able from Amazon and I have not received it. It says it is shipping now. I see from the Batman66 messageboard that a number of people have already received theirs. Of course, you can't even mention that on their board because they don't want to offend Amazon and other sellers. I knew that this was going to happen. Normally a few days wait is fiine.

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
ahollis said:
Maybe my memory is going but I do recall the first couple of seasons, or at least the first season opening with the ABC color promo, then the card that said BATMAN IN COLOR. This was the era that that the networks changed from Black & White to color. They did everything to push color sense NBC had a head start on them.
ABC transitioned from their "rolling circles" color open to individual title specific color opens (such as "Batman In Color") during the 65-66 season but they never used both back-to-back on the same episode. It was one or the other. ABC and CBS were not full color in prime until the fall of 66 well after NBC.

albert_m2

Second Unit
Real Name
Albert
I think I'm going to pick up season 1 at Barnes and Noble. I saw it on sale there(30% off) the other day and content to get the show incrementally for good prices.
While their sale price isn't excellent, membership discount + another 20% makes it hard to pass up. It will end up around $20.

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Gregory
Not touching this until it's confirmed there's a fix for the screwed episode. Unless the DVD edition is intact, and I suspect it won;t be

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Gregory
There's a scene missing in "Marsha's Scheme of Diamonds". The chapter header is there, but the chapter itself is missing.

MaxMorrow

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Peter Roberts
My Blu Ray set arrived last night. Watched the first five episodes and they look great. My wife, who is a costume designer, was DEEPLY into examining the costumes to see how they were made and from what materials--the detail is really that good.

I'm in agreement with many that the packaging leaves something to be desired--I'll have to place it apart from my regular collection and put it with my Bond 50 and Ultimate Pink Panther set (now re-dubbed the "Monstrosities from the Sixties" shelf. And I'll be keeping an eye here for continued reports regarding what might be missing from individual episodes...but so far, I'm impressed and having a ball with it.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
Nebiroth said:
There's a scene missing in "Marsha's Scheme of Diamonds". The chapter header is there, but the chapter itself is missing.
I checked my Season 2 Disc 2 BD. Seems to be the case. I even looked at the 0066.mt2s file on my PC. Played the file in question using VLC media player. Same results.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Planned to get the DVD set but due to an error at BB, I ended up with the Blu....

Basically I went to BB to buy it and the kid said they had 4 DVD sets showing in stock. We couldn't find them anywhere. So he said place an "in store" pick up and maybe they can fine it. I did just that. After maybe 10 minutes I got a text saying to go pick up the set. The nice ladies there couldn't find it anywhere in the pick up section. So maybe 10 minutes later a BB guy walks up with the Blu Ray special edition set. I said I'll take it if they offer it for close to the DVD price I already paid. He said he'd meet me in the middle so I saved about $20 overall. Not too bad.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Jack P said:
Okay, I have some bad news to report that I was just alerted to on the Batman message board. An episode is missing its entire tag sequence, "Marsha's Scheme of Diamonds" which is part two of the first episode featuring Carolyn Jones as Marsha. It shows her dotty Aunt Hilda now teaching a cooking class at the Bruce Wayne School of Home Economics. The running time is too short (24:17) and goes straight from the end of the previous scene to the end credits but the curious thing is when I hit the display it indicates there should be five chapters and when it goes to the end credits its only Chapter 4 of 5. I am beginning to suspect there was an authoring screw-up on this particular disc in general in the original production that caused a scene to go missing entirely.This is to put it bluntly, not good. I have found much to praise in this set but this is an alarming development. Someone fell asleep at the switch for this.
The plot thickens. The scene in question is also not on the UltraViolet digital copy!

Neil

chas speed

Second Unit
Real Name
jeff
Carabimero said:
Fan bases remain the great untapped source of check-disc heaven, in my opinion. The time and expense of a lot of replacement discs could have been avoided by simply identifying a discreet, knowledgeable fan and giving them a set of check discs before replication. Most fans would do it for the cost of a set.
I actually think most fans would do it for nothing, but your plan has common sense, so I don't think the studios would be interested in doing it.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I am willing to concede I am not expert enough to know if this is an authoring era or not. I was just looking at an uncut episode from S1 that the display lists six chapters and the sixth chapter is nothing after the end credits, so the Marsha episode it seems has one less chapter than what an uncut episode should have.*If* it is possible that this stuff is missing from the current 35mm masters that were used and only exists on old transfers then we're looking at something that would have to be fixed using a combination of source elements. If they were on the 35mm masters and were damaged then we should have gotten a heads-up about that. If they transferred this without realizing there was a missing scene, then the too-short running time should have been a tip-off.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
chas speed said:
I actually think most fans would do it for nothing, but your plan has common sense, so I don't think the studios would be interested in doing it.
I'm confident there are legal department instituted reasons they don't do it.

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Gregory
Okay, I checked my offair recordings from when the show was broadcast here in the UK recently, and there is NOTHING in between the closing scene of Marsha's mother giving her cookery class and the end credits.

It is possible that the person originally reporting this has actually seen some sort of editted version and that what we've got from Warner is, in fact, the original genuine article. And that the chapters in this episode are just misnumbered, compounding the impression that something should be there, but is not.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Nebiroth said:
Okay, I checked my offair recordings from when the show was broadcast here in the UK recently, and there is NOTHING in between the closing scene of Marsha's mother giving her cookery class and the end credits.

It is possible that the person originally reporting this has actually seen some sort of editted version and that what we've got from Warner is, in fact, the original genuine article. And that the chapters in this episode are just misnumbered, compounding the impression that something should be there, but is not.
There was a debate earlier about a missing narration in the pilot, and it was said that the "missing" narration was added later and may not have been on the original 35mm prints.

So, does anyone know if there were scenes added to a couple syndicated versions of the episodes to pad them out after cuts?

/we just went through this with a couple of WKRP episodes in that thread... the original masters Fox had contained different cuts of a couple episodes. One episode even had an entirely different third act and ending than had been seen for the last 30 years in syndication.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks