What's new

Batman The Complete TV Series Limited Edition (11/11)(Blu-ray)(DVD) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
EddieLarkin said:
Yeah sorry Greg I should have clarified that Americans don't have to pay the sales tax that is already included in the listed price. $155-160 is correct.
Depends on who you order it from. Amazon UK? Yes, they do properly deduct VAT from the price in the last step of the checkout process. Some other e-tailers, though, do not deduct VAT (either they pocket it or use it to go towards postage, etc), so be careful!

Also be mindful of whether your credit card company charges a "foreign currency" fee. Most credit cards charge at least a 3% fee for all purchases that aren't in US dollars.

There is one other possibility about this release that no one has said yet: this might not be for a "real" UK release of the title, but might just be the UK wing of Amazon importing the US set to sell to their customers. It happens quite often on both sides of the pond. The US Amazon has imported UK titles that weren't out yet in the States to meet customer demand (off the top of my head, UK DVD/Blu-rays of certain BBC titles, like Being Human and Sherlock were imported by .com and sold on the US site before US/Region 1 versions were available).

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
If a genuine Region B/UK version does come out this year, I'm hoping it'll be in standard plastic cases and without all the unnecessary extras. Look at the UK DVD releases of Land of the Giants compared to the gigantic US "lunchbox" one!

Also, with blu-rays, there shouldn't be the problem of playing at the wrong speed. If the US discs are 24p, then the UK ones are almost certain to be, too.

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nick
If it were simply the US set being imported by Amazon.co.uk, then it would not have its own unique ASIN, which it does. Not to mention that Amazon.co.uk importing the US set and then selling it at a loss would be ridiculous. This is the genuine UK version.

Re playback speeds, as with all UK Blu-rays that use a 24p source, they of course will also be 24fps themselves.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
EddieLarkin said:
If it were simply the US set being imported by Amazon.co.uk, then it would not have its own unique ASIN, which it does. Not to mention that Amazon.co.uk importing the US set and then selling it at a loss would be ridiculous. This is the genuine UK version.

Re playback speeds, as with all UK Blu-rays that use a 24p source, they of course will also be 24fps themselves.
I wasn't aware it had a unique ASIN. As you say, selling at a loss is ridiculous, but as we all know, Amazon mis-prices aren't unheard of!

I'm fully aware of the 24p thing (as I mentioned it in my post). I just put that in there to reassure people who might be worried about speed-up issues (which were commonplace with PAL vs NTSC as far as DVDs) who might be less educated on the subject. Since the US release will undoubtedly be 24p, I can't imagine why the UK version won't be as well. In the past, though, there could have been some concern about the UK version of some US titles ending up a 1080i/50 conversion, but that was usually restricted to a few movies and often, one label in particular (Entertainment In Video, as I recall).

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
EddieLarkin said:

What about the format difference between NTSC and PAL? Will that be a problem watching it in America? When I lived in England we could watch NTSC VHS tapes but when I brought PAL VHS tapes to America they wouldn't play.

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nick
No, as others have mentioned, NTSC and PAL are analog terms. They do not apply in any way to HD formats or TVs. The Blu-ray playback standard, 1080p/24 is the same all over the world. The only thing an American TV is going to have trouble displaying is any content encoded at 50hz, which should not be the case with this set (since it's a sure thing that the discs will be the exact same ones going in the American set).

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Pre-ordered the Blu-ray set, but after seeing the clunky, box-o-trinkets packaging design, it's quite possible that I'll cancel it and wait until standard BD packaging is announced.

The season 1 DVD release is beautiful! Why isn't there a companion season 1 BD set?

Maybe it is coming soon? I'd even be ok with the clunky box if it housed 3 standard BD sets.

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
I was not aware of that. That's great! I learned something new today. Thanks.
TravisR said:
That problem went away with the switch over to HD.
EddieLarkin said:
No, as others have mentioned, NTSC and PAL are analog terms. They do not apply in any way to HD formats or TVs. The Blu-ray playback standard, 1080p/24 is the same all over the world. The only thing an American TV is going to have trouble displaying is any content encoded at 50hz, which should not be the case with this set (since it's a sure thing that the discs will be the exact same ones going in the American set).

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Mike Frezon said:
Don't I remember an image of your boy (maybe about four or five years old) all decked out in a Batman costume??? (probably in a very old RoundUp?)

:biggrin:
Sorry for being so late to reply to this, Mike...I've had a swamped week. My boy isn't 5 any more...he's about to start 11th grade next Monday, and I've been splitting time between work and getting him ready for back-to-school! :DI am so very glad you're up and around these days, and well enough to remember that pic of my kid in a superhero costume. But actually it was Superman, not Batman. He wore it for the Halloween that was just a few months before he turned five (back when he still had to wear an eye patch for correcting a vision problem). The only other time he wore a "heroic" costume was a Red Morphin' Power Ranger. Most other times he's been a bit more evil...a pirate (eye patch!), Darth Vader, Jason from Friday the 13th, etc.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Yikes! Time DOES fly, Dave! :biggrin: But, then, so does Superman!

When your son was five, my kids would've been 13 & 17 (or thereabouts). My oldest--my daughter--is gonna make me a grandpa in October! The nerve! :laugh:

Thanks for sharing those pix!

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Forgive me but I have been on another planet the last ten days or so. Did Comic Con confirm the set is complete and uncut with all the original music, etc.? Thanks.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Great clip. Really gives the true essence of what that show was all about.

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Gregory
John Astin was Okay as the Riddler, but I think Frank Gorshin was way better. His Riddler was marvellously maniacal yet deadly and he had that fantastic insane laugh. The Jim Carey Riddler was actually one of the very few things I liked in the first cycle of Batman movies.

Gorshij is brilliant as Bele in star Trek's Let That Be Your Last Battlefield

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
Nebiroth said:
John Astin was Okay as the Riddler, but I think Frank Gorshin was way better. His Riddler was marvellously maniacal yet deadly and he had that fantastic insane laugh. The Jim Carey Riddler was actually one of the very few things I liked in the first cycle of Batman movies.

Gorshij is brilliant as Bele in star Trek's Let That Be Your Last Battlefield
His Kirk Douglas impersonation ain't bad either.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Amazon's pre-order price on the BD set dropped around $10 to $179 in case anyone wanted to lock in at this better price.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation822
Recent bookmarks