Batman, Superman Animated specs!!!!!

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by todd s, Mar 24, 2004.

1. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

The following was just posted at the Toon Zone Forum:

Bonus Material, Disc Count for animated "Batman," "Superman," and "Superfriends" DVDs

By Jim Harvey
    03-24-2004, 02:37 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WB has informed Toon Zone's Jim Harvey that the upcoming DVD releases of Batman: The Animated Series, Superman: The Animated Series, and Challenge of the Superfriends will not disappoint fans. The first set of DVD releases focusing on the popular animated heroes will come in the summer.

Fans worried that WB will release underwhelming sets of their iconic animated properties can breathe a sigh of relief. A representative for WB said that every Batman: The Animated Series DVD boxed set release will contain four discs. Each set will also feature between 24 - 28 episodes and retail for around the same price of WB's current animated releases, such as The Flintstones. Superman: The Animated Series and Challenge of the Superfriends will be released as two disc sets, much like the upcoming Samurai Jack: Season One title.

A representative for WB Home Video was also quick to correct recent false information, stating only Batman: The Animated Series, Superman: The Animated Series, and Challenge of the Superfriends will be coming out as multi-disc boxed sets for the foreseeable future. Future releases of other super hero properties, such as Teen Titans, Justice League, and possibly Batman Beyond, will only be released as single, episodic DVDs. These single disc DVDs will hit shelves the same time the larger, multi-disc sets are released.

And what about extras? Don't worry fans, WB is listening. On each set - single or multi-disc - expect interviews, commentary, videography about villains and heroes, and much more. Participants already recorded for commentaries and interviews include Bruce Timm, Paul Dini, and Alan Burnett, among others. Several members of the voice cast and creative team for each animated series are heavily involved in production of these releases. Also, expect a few surprise creators from the world of comic books to featured on these DVDs.

When asked about their plans for these DVD sets, the representative for WB said the plans are to release every episode for each animated series. The first wave of these DVD box sets, and new single volume releases, begins this summer. Expect an official announcement from WB shortly.

Stay tuned for alot more DVD updates here at Toon Zone News and The World's Finest. Discuss this news here at the popular DC Animated Universe Forum.

2. Louis_P

Louis_P Stunt Coordinator

Very cool news!! So what there saying is Batman Beyond and other toons will also come out as sets down the road?

3. Sean.S

Sean.S Stunt Coordinator

Good to hear about Batman, Superman and Superfriends! Also, the individual releases of Teen Titans and Justice League (some already out on JL) are good to hear to.

4. Nick Graham

Nick Graham Screenwriter

Thank you thank you thank you WB!

5. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

Good news about Batman: TAS and Superman: TAS, but Teen Titans was stated as getting box sets in the chat. [​IMG]

6. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

That sucks in a big way. [​IMG] [​IMG]

-Dave

7. Chuck L

Chuck L Screenwriter

So...if I am reading this right, they are going to re-release the two disc that they already have for Challenge of The Superfriends and simply include them as part of a box, or the remaing 8 shows from that series are what will make up that box that is coming?

I am confused.

8. Tim_P_76

Tim_P_76 Second Unit

It seems like everyone is forgetting about the prior released discs of Batman and Superfriends. Warner cant seem to stop blowing it. What about the buyer/fan Warner? Defenitely this should have been addressed at the chat.[​IMG]

9. AndrewR

AndrewR Stunt Coordinator

Andrew Rubio
    No Teen Titan Box Set? [​IMG]

My kids are going to be disappointed to hear that. They're very spoiled by the concept of the season boxed set.

I'd rather buy a box set then shell out on individual releases. That's what stopped me from buying all of Warner's other Animated releases.

Andrew

10. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

Instead of griping that we bought some of these episodes already, I am going to give some praise to Warner Video for listening to what the consumers said that they wanted, and that was box sets of their Animated shows. It may not be all of them, but it is some of their best stuff, and that has to count for something. I personally am eagerly waiting for these sets to come out and start my Batman marathon. Some of the best episodes would probably never be available any other way, such as the two with Kiodi(or however its spelled)the ninja. Awesome stuff.

11. Prentice Cotham

Prentice Cotham Supporting Actor

I cannot wait!! I am extremely excited...thanks WB!!

12. ChrisBEA

ChrisBEA Screenwriter

Very much looking forward to what sets do become available. Batman Beyond would be nice, but I'll be thankful for what I get. Glad I passed on those Batman/Robin disks that came out a week or 2 ago. I did pick up the Beyond disks, value seemed pretty good.

13. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

I'm excited about these releases.
    I do wish they'd box Justice League in 16x9 seasons though.

14. Sean Moon

How many justice League episodes are there? I dont think there are too many, as it didnt take too long for cartoon network to get back around to repeats of them all while showing them nightly.

So when is the official announcment of all this?

15. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    I can't wait for the Batman set! If supes is priced rght, I'll probably grab it too.

couldn't Superfriends be complete on 2 flippers? I wouldn't mind if the price was right.[​IMG]

I'll hold off on buying JL until season sets come out.

16. Robert Floto

Robert Floto Supporting Actor

How many seasons and/or episodes of Superman were there?

17. Bill Williams

Bill Williams Screenwriter

Fron what I understand, there were 54 half-hour Superman segments produced over a four-year period. (I could be wrong, though.) The first two seasons contained the majority of the episodes, while the remaining segments were shown as part of "The Batman/Superman Adventures" in the late 90's. The WB took their time to give Batman the big push, but Superman was just all too brief in its run.

Thank goodness that we're finally going to get Superman: TAS in more DVD sets! That's definitely a step in the right direction.

18. florence franks

florence franks Stunt Coordinator

Currently there are 54 episodes already for JL. So I going to wait until they do that one right too. Great news for Superman and BTAS though!! Woot. TT is fine with me, watched about ten mins of it once and was quite insulted. No idea why people like it so.

19. Sean Moon

I dont understand the Teen Titans craze either. I find it insulting as well. But sorry for the thread fart.

20. AndrewR

AndrewR Stunt Coordinator

Andrew Rubio
    My kids absolutely love Teen Titans. Their ages range from 15 to 5 and all four of them can't wait to watch every new episode. It's sort of become our Family Night to watch it on Saturdays.

Can't speak for them as to why they love it so much but I think it's a fun show and I'm a hardcore comic fan (who grew up reading the first Wolfman/Perez Teen Titan run). I don't find the show insulting at all. I love Justice League too but the kids only keep a mild interest on that one.

They were really looking forward to a Teen Titans box set (hint hint WB).

Andrew