What's new

BATMAN & ROBIN serials from 1949 on 5/22 (1 Viewer)

Tim-H.

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim-H
According to superherohype.com, a collection of 15 theatrical serials from 1949 will be released by Sony Pictures Home Entertainment in a 2-disc set.
Looks cool!

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan
I really enjoyed watching these as a kid, albeit they're a bit on the cheesy side. I wonder if the serial released prior to this one will be released as well.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
The original BATMAN serial from 1943 was released on VHS by Goodtimes in an edited and altered version which removed perceived politically incorrect content.

No way Sony would release the first serial uncut, but maybe in the altered form.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Nice that they are releasing these in anticipation of the new movie, but it would suck if all the previous Batmans get released this year except the 1966 TV show. That's the one I'm waiting for.

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
I pulled this and the previous Batman serial off of AMC a few years ago, but I misplaced the tape with the second half of this one, and I don't think I ever saw the end. Also, I do know that for some reason, the tape cuts out at the beginning of the second chapter, so I don't see how they escape the plane explosion (I think that's what happened).

This is a must buy.

Hopefully the first one gets released as well, uncut. When I first saw those serials, I think I wasn't even a teenager, but I didn't worry about any stereotypes.

Honestly, when dealing with these older films and their portrayals of foreigners - kids don't care, and adults understand. Those that don't . . . well, I'll stay civil on this board.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I've always wanted to see these! hopefully if this sells we get the first one. This one has Robin, doesn't it?

Shawn_KE

Screenwriter
It's about time. My goodtimes version are pretty worn down. Great cheezy fun. I didn't know they were edited though.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
I've never seen these but have always heard about them. I never could find anywhere to buy them except at sci-fi conventions and we all know how legal those things tend to be.

Just how cheesy are we talking here in comparison to the Adam West TV series? And how much editing was done to the original theatrical versions?

Thanks,
Chris S.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Chris, I've seen both serials and they are significantly "cheesier" than the 1966-68 ABC-TV show.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
The Goodtimes VHS LP speed release of the original 1943 BATMAN serial has been rather extensively altered. There are edits, re-looped dialog, and completely new narration added at the beginning and end of each chapter.

I've got the uncut versions on VHS (not the best quality though) and I can see why they were afraid to release it uncut! Lots of terms used to describe the Japanese villian that would cause all sorts of hue and cry today.

The second serial, BATMAN AND ROBIN, was slightly edited on the original Goodtimes VHS LP speed release as well, but I think the later Columbia SP speed release was uncut, as I am hopeful the DVD will be.

These aren't the best examples of the serial form (any fan will tell you those are the ones from the rival Republic Studios) but they are interesting. I for one, think the Columbia SUPERMAN serials are much better than the BATMAN entries.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Michael is correct.

But the 1943 and 1949 serials were altogether different and the cheese oozed. Oddly, of these two serials, I prefer the first one.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
When they released "Superman the Serial" on VHS it was uncut. When it came out on LD, it was edited, they left off the opening credits after the first chapter.

We can talk about how crummy some prints are now that they're on DVD. The "Phantom" is dark and not great, "Adventures of Captain Marvel" is better than the LD!
"The Drums of Fu Manchu" is so soft is not worth buying.

So, it's a hit and miss scenerio. Who buys serials...not the main stream public, only a tiny niche, like us. That's why the quality is so crappy on these DVD releases!

I hope someone does a good review and I mean someone that knows what the original serials had in them.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I've seen the Captain Marvel serial, as well! All of these serials were spliced together (with all chapters' intros and credit runs left intact) into "super movies" back in the mid-1960s. The Batman serials showed up first, followed by Captain Marvel. And the reason being was to capitalize on the attention drawn by the upcoming Batman TV show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks