1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

UHD Review Batman Returns UHD Review

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Todd Erwin, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin Producer
    Reviewer

Todd Erwin
    PMF, Osato, Malcolm R and 1 other person like this.
  2. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Cinematographer
    Supporter

I wasn't as crazy about Batman Returns when it was first released, but over the years I've found that I enjoy it almost as much as the first film. It isn't without flaws, including, as you mentioned, at least one-too-many villains. I also prefer the production design from the first film by Anton Furst, who left this planet way-too-early. Still, Bo Welch's designs are really good and unquestionably head and shoulders above the gaudy designs we got in the last two films of the series. I love both DeVito and Pfeiffer's performances, even though this version of the Penguin is probably the least-faithful take we've gotten so far outside of the comics. It's a little gross, but I find it incredibly interesting, providing some pathos to the character's story. Pfeiffer's Catwoman absolutely owns every scene she's in. Anne Hathaway's Catwoman is more faithful to the comics, but Pfeiffer's is more fun.

All-in-all, I think it's a really good film that holds up decades later as an example of an enjoyable film from an era when a Summer Blockbuster could still take chances with its story, direction, and production design.

3. Osato

Osato Producer

It’s one of my favorite Batman films. I love the quirkiness of it and the elfman score. Michelle is great in it as well.
    I argue with my wife about it being a Christmas movie every year.

PMF and Brian Kidd like this.
  4. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    How does she feel about Die Hard??? :laugh:

PMF likes this.
  5. Osato

Osato Producer

She’s never seen it.

Or Star Trek 5.