Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Todd Erwin submitted a new blog post

Batman Returns UHD Review
BatmanReturns_feat-1024x576.jpg

Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I wasn't as crazy about Batman Returns when it was first released, but over the years I've found that I enjoy it almost as much as the first film. It isn't without flaws, including, as you mentioned, at least one-too-many villains. I also prefer the production design from the first film by Anton Furst, who left this planet way-too-early. Still, Bo Welch's designs are really good and unquestionably head and shoulders above the gaudy designs we got in the last two films of the series. I love both DeVito and Pfeiffer's performances, even though this version of the Penguin is probably the least-faithful take we've gotten so far outside of the comics. It's a little gross, but I find it incredibly interesting, providing some pathos to the character's story. Pfeiffer's Catwoman absolutely owns every scene she's in. Anne Hathaway's Catwoman is more faithful to the comics, but Pfeiffer's is more fun.

All-in-all, I think it's a really good film that holds up decades later as an example of an enjoyable film from an era when a Summer Blockbuster could still take chances with its story, direction, and production design.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I wasn't as crazy about Batman Returns when it was first released, but over the years I've found that I enjoy it almost as much as the first film. It isn't without flaws, including, as you mentioned, at least one-too-many villains. I also prefer the production design from the first film by Anton Furst, who left this planet way-too-early. Still, Bo Welch's designs are really good and unquestionably head and shoulders above the gaudy designs we got in the last two films of the series. I love both DeVito and Pfeiffer's performances, even though this version of the Penguin is probably the least-faithful take we've gotten so far outside of the comics. It's a little gross, but I find it incredibly interesting, providing some pathos to the character's story. Pfeiffer's Catwoman absolutely owns every scene she's in. Anne Hathaway's Catwoman is more faithful to the comics, but Pfeiffer's is more fun.

All-in-all, I think it's a really good film that holds up decades later as an example of an enjoyable film from an era when a Summer Blockbuster could still take chances with its story, direction, and production design.

It’s one of my favorite Batman films. I love the quirkiness of it and the elfman score. Michelle is great in it as well.
I argue with my wife about it being a Christmas movie every year.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
It’s one of my favorite Batman films. I love the quirkiness of it and the elfman score. Michelle is great in it as well.

How does she feel about Die Hard??? :laugh:

Reactions: PMF

RJ992

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joel

Watch it every Xmas season. It's certainly more of a Christmas movie than Die Hard. From the presents at the beginning to the bat-filled Christmas tree (not to mention the gigantic tree Alfred is trimming) to the very last line...a Christmas movie for sure. Just a dark, somewhat nihilistic one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks