Batman: Mask of the Phantasm

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Erin C, Aug 15, 2006.

1. Erin C

Erin C Stunt Coordinator

Wasn't this rumored to be an SE when Batman Begins and the other Bat films were announced? Or are we stuck with the grainy,bare bones version?

2. Fabien Renelli

Fabien Renelli Stunt Coordinator

I remember Warner spoke of a SE DVD, but we've not seen anything yet.

3. CameronMcC

CameronMcC Second Unit

they did re-release it in a keep case about the time of batman begins...but no new content..and i think its still non anamorphic

4. Robert Floto

Robert Floto Supporting Actor

No, I believe it is anamorphic widescreen on one side of the disc, and pan & scam on the other...

5. Erin C

Erin C Stunt Coordinator

I still have the little comic book that you got when the VHS version was first released.

6. Seth=L

Seth=L Screenwriter

The newer Batman releases feature DTS surround sound. A plus in my book.

Seth=L

7. Brad M

Brad M Second Unit

Warner did say a Special Edition is coming in one of their chats. I believe it is slated for next year.

8. Adrian_B

Adrian_B Extra

i actually really like the edition we have. keeping the film grain in animation photographed on film is a fantastic idea... hint hint Disney.

9. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    All due respect to Chris Nolan and Christian Bale, this is still the best Batman movie ever to hit movie screens (where it played briefly in '93 or so).

10. dana martin

dana martin Cinematographer

Dana Martin
    first in the chat is says that is under consideration, nothing definite, but with the rest of the DCAU releases' one can hope that after Batman Beyond, is done that the SE of this will be released like the first season of Batman Beyond, in matching artwork to the season sets, actually i would like to see all the animated features MOTP /Subzero/ MOTB/BB-ROTJ Uncut all done in two disc sets, and with the same care as was given the anthology , yes that means DTS sound and in the case of MOTP, last time i watched this i did notice that a possible improvement in the transfer could be done, the film is 13 years old

And as extras go let Timm and Co have a field day with this, it would be really great to let them have some fun, and get the animation department do maybe a new short, and as a true bonus , do the three Gotham Girls in animation, using the soundtracks that was used for the Webtoons, not to slight those but flash toons just doesnt look right on the TV

11. Charlie O.

Charlie O. Supporting Actor

If the DVD is release as a SE i wonder if it be widescreen. From what I understand it was animated at 4:3 because it was originally going to be a direct to video release. Warner saw the finished product and thought it was good enough for theaters, chopping off the top and bottom for its presention. With that in mind, this isn't your normal open matte vs OAR here.

12. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Let me say again, I've seen all the batman films. None of them is even in the same ballpark as MOTP. I loved Batman Begins, and felt it comes close, but Batman: MOTP may be the most adult, well-paced, deep story of the batman series put to film.

Staying original with unique characters who have deep reasoning behind them, MOTP represents everything I watned in a film. As the villain came to light, you became significantly more sympathetic for them. They were what Batman could be. That contradiction in providing a bad guy who you had strong understanding of made this film one of those that I said "Good lord, the writing in this is good"

There are scenes in this with top-notch writing, asking the kind of questions I wished more films asked (the scene of Bruce Wayne at the cemetary said everything I've always wanted a superhero movie to say).

I still own the laserdisc. I own the original DVD.

I love Batman Begins, and I know at heart that it had to be bigger, broader, in order to be a box office hit - and even while doing that it did a good job.

But I think a lot of people are really missing out if they haven't seen MOTP, which should be required viewing for anyone making a superhero film in order to understand what good pacing and writing are about.

13. Christopher_H

Christopher_H Stunt Coordinator

I gotta say, I totally agree with this. Makes me want to go watch Mask of the Phantasm right now.

14. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    I Agree BB Comes close and it's the best of the Live Action, But MOTP is BATMAN. I'm gonna have to fire it up again, I think I'll watch it on my Projector for the first time.

15. Stephen Brooks

Stephen Brooks Second Unit

Stephen Brooks
    MOTP had the advantage of being able to assume that most of its viewers had watch TAS, and build from that.

Most franchise superhero films are hampered by having to tell an origin story of some sort (whether it's the heros in the first movie, or the villains in each subsequent sequel). I think if writers got more chances to tell a story that picks up in the middle of a well-established universe, we'd see a lot more quality in comic book films.

16. Dharmesh C

Dharmesh C Supporting Actor

Very interesting, but this didn't work in the first Keaton film in my opinion. The main difference between Keaton and Bale's Bat is that the former is a mythic alien, demigod whilst the latter is human, down to earth, stripped of the mythic awe.

My copy of Phantasm has arrived.

17. Chris Roberts

Chris Roberts Stunt Coordinator

Glad to know I'm not the only one who thinks this is the best of any Batman movies. Actually the entire Animated Series was great as well, but MOTP also works on its own. I think I'll watch this tonight as its been a few years since I've seen it.

18. Arnie G

Arnie G Supporting Actor

I think I'll watch it tonight too! Is the rerelease the same disc but with a keepcase?

19. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    As much as Dini, Timm, et. al. deserve credit for their interpretation of the character, I think some credit also goes to exec producer Michael Uslan, who championed this kind of vision for the character since the late 70s. He got some of what he wanted in 1989, and saw his vision fully realized with Batman Begins. Uslan was also exec producer on Mask of the Phantasm.