Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Worth watching

Votes: 6 75.0%

• Total voters

Mredwards

Agent
Real Name
Matt
Did anybody else watch the Batman show from 1949 on the Roku channel? It was really cool to see the pure story telling aspect of it without all the special effects. It kept me interested the whole time. At the end of each episode they told the audience to come back to this theater next week to see what happens next. The 1966 version was a bit to cheesy for me. The 49 version felt more serious.

batmanrobin.png

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
These were movie serials, not TV show episodes. It was Batman and Robin, a multi-episode serial from 1949 (there had been an earlier one in the 1940s titled Batman). I have both serials on DVD and have watched them a fair number of times.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Both are good representations of "superhero" serials featuring Batman (and Robin) as the hero. Honestly, you could just about put any character in place of Batman in these and they'd still mostly work as they're fairly standard serial "good guy vs. bad guy" material. There's a bit of "high tech" occasionally, in spite of very low budgets, and there's no Batmobile (another cost cutting measure) but both are still good 40s serial fun. Just put yourself in the mindset of a 13yo going to the movies for a Saturday matinee and seeing the next chapter in the story. The movie version of a weekly TV show designed to keep people coming in every week. Both are available on a single DVD release that looks and sounds very good.

I'd rather watch either of these than any of the Christopher Nolan Batman films.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
I have both serials on DVD and I find them quite entertaining, and my Dad enjoyed seeing them again (he first saw them when they were new).

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I rented the DVDs years ago and had a lot of fun watching them. I should get them one day, I could watch these again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks