What's new

Batman Beyond (1 Viewer)

Joe*A

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe
Now that season 2 is right around the corner, I decided to pick up Season 1 of the show (great show, btw). Question - is Batman Beyond The Movie, basically the 1st two episodes shown on Season 1 of Batman Beyond called Rebirth? I don't want to buy the Batman Beyond Movie if I don't have to.

Also, I'm assuming Batman Beyond - Return of the Joker is a stand alone "episode" and closes the series? It will not be released in the Season 3 set?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Joe

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor

Yes, it's a stand-alone movie and it wasn't part of the TV series. (Technically it doesn't close the series; they were cancelled without a chance to do a real finale, and closed it out in an episode of "Justice League" where they brought Terry back.)

Joe*A

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe
Thank you Jaime, I need to get that episode of Justice League - I'm kind of a completist. :)

Joe

AlexF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex
Hopefully they'll throw that episode into the last BB set. At least I hope so, never really got into JL at all. Well, we shall see. I don't have high hopes on that though. Alas.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
That JLU episode, titled Epilogue, will be the last episode on the JLU set released Oct. 24.

I love both JLU and BB, so it's win-win here. I agree they should include it on the last BB release, but I wouldn't count on it.

Kris_AB

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kris
Does "Return of the Joker" have a definitive place in the series, between episodes or seasons?

Have Bruce Timm or Paul Dini ever mentioned their preference for where it should be watched?

I've heard fans say that it works nicely as a finale (until you get around to "Epilogue" in JLA, then that's the appropriate ending from the sounds of it. And thanks for being careful to not give any spoilers guys, I'm still working on the last sets of Superman: TAS and Batman: TAS. Appreciate that).

I hope "Return of the Joker" will be included in the Season 3 set. I've been borrowing what I can of the DC Animated Universe DVDs (my sister's got Batman Volume 1, my friend Lisa has Batman Volumes 1 - 4 and Superman Volumes 1 & 2), but I've also had to rent (Batman: Mask of the Phantasm, Sub-Zero, and soon Superman Volume 3).

I might just go ahead and buy the Batman Beyond and Justice League sets. I know I'll probably wanna own the Batman and Superman cartoons as well eventually, so it makes sense. If they ever release season sets of Static Shock and The Zeta Project, are those worth owning as well? Or at least watching once?

Before I buy anything though, I need to know--can much be done with the visuals in these sets to improve them for High Definition? Should I just wait for eventual HD sets? The current sets are pretty awesome to begin with (decent amount of commentaries and other small special features), but it's hard to make a decision at a time like this when we're nearing a format change.

Joe*A

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe
Could someone explain the difference between Justice League and Justice League Unlimited. According to TVShowsonDVD.com there have been 2 season releases of Justice League and 1 of Unlimited. The episode with the future Batman - Terry M. is on Unlimited. Are the two series independent of each other - does one need to watch the original and then Unlimited for continuity sake?

Thanks people
Joe

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
JL has the big 7...Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Lantern, Martian Manhunter, and Hawkgirl. It ran two seasons of two-parters (with one stand-alone Christmas ep, and a few three parters as well). It occurs BEFORE JLU.

JLU has a much larger cast, usually involving one or a few of the big 7, but lots of other DCU heroes. It builds on elements present in JL, so watching JL before JLU will make quite a bit of sense for viewers. There is some fairly consistent continuity, but nothing required.

There are some real gems in both, but I believe JLU is a better show. It's got a wicked sense of humor.

Joe*A

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe
Thanks Chuck. I think I'll pick up JLU as a start based on your recommendation and if needed, go back to the JL DVDs. What makes these shows great is not the action but the interaction between the characters - whit and sarcasm make for a great show. And if that's what JLU has, this is the show for me.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams

I would politely disagree since the first few episodes of JLU deal with the fallout of Starcrossed, especially Wake the Dead (which happens late in the show's first season). You should watch them in order of continuity.

Joe*A

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe
You're absolutely right - I'll be searching for the first 2 seasons this weekend. I haven't heard of one bad review.

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks