What's new

Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker Uncut disc art (1 Viewer)

Jeremy Conrad

Supporting Actor
returnofjokeruncut_disclg.jpg

There ya go.

Joel C

Screenwriter
Nice. I am looking foward to replacing the disc I already have. The cut is good, but the original version is *so* much more effective.

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
Ooh, very snazzy. I swore I would never support the censored version of this, and soon this disc's absence from my collection will be at an end. As noted above, the original version of this is much more effective and really what Batman Beyond should have been from the get-go instead of the unfortunately kiddified way it went...
I mean, Batman: TAS was one of those shows that never felt like it was being confined by the urge to pander to kids that much (though it did as well), but Batman Beyond always seemed like it was pulling punches (or forced to pull those punches) at numerous turns, nowhere moreso than in the movie.
I'll be very glad when this is released in its proper version :)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I only saw Batman Beyond a couple of times, but liked what I saw. I've never seen the movie, since I knew it was censored. I look forward to picking it up soon.

Rob T

Screenwriter
All the animated Batman discs come out on the 23rd of April and they all cost about $20.00.
My wallet will be empty after that day for awhile. :)

Prentice Cotham

Supporting Actor
What about the cover? From what I've heard, you have to look for a parental advisory statement, sticker, or something on the uncut version in order to differentiate b/w the two.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Mmmmm, uncut. I can't wait for this, refused to get the original release (though granted, I came close).

Dan (UK)

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Well, I purchased the "original" release of this effort, and enjoyed it in spite of the cuts. (In fact, next to "Mask of the Phantasm", it's my favorite animated Batman.)

I'll definitely be purchasing the Uncut Version (and all the other great Batman DVD's that will be released that day), but I'll keep the "censored" cut of this movie as a collectable.

Gui A

Supporting Actor
READ CAREFULLY!!!
What is the first word in bold printed on the disc?
STANDARD!!!
Not Widescreen! Not Enhanced for 16x9!!!
(also, US PG-13, Canada PG/DP)

MikeM

Screenwriter
Yeah, I was also under the impression that the OAR for this was standard 4:3 format.

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
I'm sure Brian Cruz from Toonzone will reply with a comment of his own, but in the meantime, I'll lift a response of his to a similar thread from another forum:

I'm the guy who's responsible for that page mentioned a few posts back that contains Bruce Timm's feelings about the widescreen Justice League. It's true that Return of the Joker was done just like JL... animated in full screen, with everything being staged so that the top and bottom could be matted for widescreen.

Since I get to talk to Bruce Timm every so often, I asked him about ROTJ specifically, and he said that he prefers the widescreen version (which hardly anyone has seen, since it was never publically released). But he also said that if sales on this and the other related DVDs are poor, than WB is unlikely to release more in the future.

I say buy the DVD anyway. Sure, you'll get some extra screen space, but it's not like they didn't finish the animation in those parts. It looks fine. And this DVD will contain the originally recorded commentary track. The original was scrapped when WB decided to edit the movie, since it referred to many of the cut scenes. So a second track was recorded, which mostly consisted of everyone trying to remember the good stuff they said the first time around. I wouldn't pass up a chance to hear the original this time.
FWIW, the specs for the original disc -- before the butchering -- included a 1.78:1 anamorphic widescreen presentation.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I'm an OAR advocate, but in this case and Justice League, I watch the full screen version because it was animated that way.

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
Dave: How is that any different than someone saying they prefer open-matte because they get "more picture"?

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
But he also said that if sales on this and the other related DVDs are poor, than WB is unlikely to release more in the future.

What related DVDs? Other than the censored ROTJ, there is only one Batman Beyond DVD in existence!

There are no Batman:TAS discs on the shelves except for the excellent "Mask of the Phantasm". No Superman:TAS discs at all, even though the show is no longer in production.

If WB is willing to release complete runs of the Batman and Superman animated series, packaged and priced to encourage collecting the whole run, I'd imagine there would be a lot of animation fans lining up to buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks