What's new

Batman Begins Part III (1 Viewer)

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
Well, with two down it's that time again. IMO, the three biggest questions as of now are;

What will it be called?

Who will be the villain?

Should they recast The Joker?

P.S., Expect 'Dark Knight spoilers ahead...

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer

1) Gotham
2) Two-Face (I hope), maybe it's time for Catwoman...maybe Gordon can be a good antagonist, though
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

3) Nope. Too much distraction. This iteration had its Joker; sadly, all too briefly.

Jeff Swindoll

Supporting Actor

I was wondering today how Nolan would portray the Penguin for some reason. Hmmmm

I highly doubt we'll see the Joker again since everyone is talking about how good Ledger is in the role. Oscar nods supposedly. I can't think of many actors who'd want to step into those shoes.

Pete-D

Screenwriter
I think Rhas Al Ghul will be brought back to bring the story full circle, as I suspect Nolan will want to end the trilogy.

That also opens the door to Talia Al Ghul and can give the film a female element after the events of TDK.

Combine that with the continuing Two Face story arc.

They *could* I suppose re-cast the Joker, but that's going to be difficult. Nolan is stuck between a rock and a hard place here I think. I don't think it's believable to just write him out of the story though, because it's quite obvious in the TDK that he would be able to get out of Arkham within a couple of hours if he wanted to.

Hasn't it been rumored that Nolan was less than warm to the idea of Penguin and Catwoman? The Riddler or even Bane might fit better in the Nolanverse.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
I don't like the title "Gotham," but I think we're of the same mind. I think the title should reflect the change in Batman's situation at the end of 'Dark Knight.

I fully believe they should recast Joker, especially after Ledger's speech about how he and Batman are destined to fight each other forever. I loved Ledger in the role and don't dispute his performance, but the character is bigger than him and he's not the only one who can do it. It's not necessary for someone to come in a do a carbon copy either, they can play the role and still make it their own, Joker could easily "evolve" after the events of DK.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
As I said in the Dark Knight thread, I really hope a 3rd film gets made by Nolan. They have a great set-up for it now with Batman "on the run", Gordon "hunting" him while actually protecting him, Two-Face waiting in the wings with the truth, and a city that need to mature to recognize that Batman is not only the hero they need, but the one they want, and for the right reasons.

I highly doubt Nolan will go the supernatural route and bring back Rhas Al Ghul. It just wouldn't fit with the other films at all.

I don't think the Joker will be back, either. It works with him out of the picture. It'd almost be too draining to have all that chaos again from that character. Besides, no Ledger.

Two-Face will be back. Of that I have no doubt.

Other villain possibilities:

Penguin. A Nolan take on this villain would be a sophisticated jewel thief, maybe a man who backs Two-Face financially. I don't think he'd make a good main villain.

Catwoman. Nolan could build off the theme of copycat Batmen, only with an actual copycat.

Firefly. Essentially an arsonist.

Riddler. Would have to play up his willingness to play cat and mouse with the police in a way that was not anarchy like we just saw with the Joker. Honestly, after TDK I don't know if this would be different enough and would likely suffer with too many comparisons.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
I think the Joker is done. His last lines said it all. We'll just keep on doing this. Going round and round. Something to that effect.

The only way a new story between the Joker and Batman would work is if Nolan were to break new ground. ie if the Batman can find a lever of some sort against the Joker. Based on TDK it does not seem like such a thing exists.

The third movie is in tough. How do you carry on or top what happened in TDK? They could stop here because it is a good ending point.

Pete-D

Screenwriter
If Nolan wants to end the trilogy (and I think that's the plan) what I would do is this:

1.) Batman can't bring himself to kill the Joker. But Rhas Al Ghul can. And does. Batman then defeats Rhas. The trilogy is complete.

2.) Bruce Wayne discovers his soul mate in Talia, his chance for a somewhat normal life. This may sound "icky" to some comic book types, but realistically you can't strip the character of all his humanity.

3.) Batman hangs up the cape/cowl at the end of the third movie, the citizens of Gotham take greater control of the city led by Commissioner Gordon, inspired by his example. The "escalation" stops.

You can't do this in the comics because of course the comics have to continue on into eternity.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter

Good because the movie was just good? Because I think that's a horrible reason not to want to do another one.

Or do you mean narratively good? Because I thought they left the story wide open with Gordon "turning" on Batman.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Another civic minded Billionaire puts a bounty on Batman capture. Bruces conflict is then with this other Billionaire as well as the bounty hunters sent after him.
It's hard for me to see Bats continuing to operate against small scale thugs when the cops are out gunning for him. We're in Spider-man territory here, which is why I can see something like Kravens Last Hunt used as a springboard (unattributed of course). Deadshot would make sense if that's the way they went.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Good as in narratively good. The themes have been explored. The Joker took everyone and everything to their limits. Any story after that will be a pale shadow. Then again if a straight action story is sufficient to satisfy there's plenty of those that can be rolled off the assembly line.

Gordon won't turn on Batman. He will publicly but the two of them will go back to their earlier relationship ie one on one with no one else involved or knowing.

Cory S.

Supporting Actor
Title...The Dark Knight Returns.

No Joker recasting. The obvious thematic back bone of this third film, considering how The Dark Knight ended, is going to be redemption and acceptance for Bruce and the people of Gotham...with Gordon caught in the middle, considering he's now hunting the Batman.

As far as villians are concerned, the Riddler could be done in a way that's very similar to Fincher's Zodiac, i.e. a serial killer on the loose with the "riddles". The obvious goal would be much bigger in terms of what it means to the citizens of Gotham. But, doing it this way would also bring in more of the detective Batman that The Dark Knight does more of. That's the only way I can see The Riddler fitting in to Nolan's universe.

The other villian would be Black Mask..a much more potent mob boss and considering his origin, it ties nicely to the character arc we've seen in Nolan's two films for Bruce Wayne.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Film the whole thing in IMAX

first of all love the direction this has taken as for titles, different variations on a theme but the Nolanverse works so well, and I know that he has stated that he would like to work with some of the lesser characters from the series. That is a really easy point to follow if he can keep WB and DC interested in continuing the viral campaign from now right up to the next release , an occasional Gotham Times , and occasional Gotham Tonight, update episode , treat it like it is real, as that way without showing some of the secondary characters in the movie, you can still bring them into the story line. Bring back the mansion and cave, and I know thai is going to be something not seen in any of the series yet, at some point I want to see him walk the hall at Arkham Asylum and if only cameos, we need to see Crane. And possibly joker face in glass with a woman talking on other side.

The fact that Nolan gave us the dective story and war on the mob makes this a better run, and hopefully will go for more than 3 pictures, personally being greedy I would like six, and the last two could be the frank miller dark knight.

1) well every bb on the net says shadow of the bat

2)Two Face

Rupert Thorne
Sal Maroni
Penguin (Cobblepot- Mob Gun Dealer w/ Croc as an enforcer)
Mike Engel (antagonist)
Bullock (antagonist) leave Gordon out of going after batman

3) Joker (Ledger Footage if any exist that Nolan shot)
( If not only suitable replacement would be Depp)

Posing a question to the others on this board how do you see the Riddler portrayed, because of the differences in the various comics, personally I always pictured the sadistic runt. No offence to David Tennant.

Les Samuel

Stunt Coordinator
Because it's Stoopidwood there will be another movie. They better be careful because the only way the next Batman can go is down. The amount of people propping this movie into the stratosphere is setting up the next one for a downfall. The movie as someone has already stated is, just good. Burton's two were good before they trashed the series. Stop here!

I'd like to see Nolan take over the Fantastic Four series...

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
hey les,
got a question for you, are you a fan of just the movies , or a comic fan as well, you keep mentionon the Burton films.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
When I was trying to title the thread I originally wrote "Christopher Nolan's Batman III," but because he's not officially attached I decided I didn't want to jinx it. So this is why I accidentally wrote "Begin's" as a possessive when changing it.

So if one of our lovely mods could just make that apostrophe magically disappear, that would be great.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I think the IMAX thing will be a done deal. I can see him catching a break from IMAX on the costs. They are going to make a mint on TDK. Shadow of the Bat is too comic book nerdy. I don't like my suggestion, but Gotham is very much a player. So we'll see what they do (it won't be Gotham, I know). Nor would I want it to be.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
The problem with filming the whole film in IMAX is that that presents a much larger divide between the two formats' aspect ratios. I suppose they could make the regular release 1.85 to make it easier?

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member

Since I have not seen the IMAX version yet, I'll say that the film looked fantastic from start to finish while at the same time it was easy to see what scenes were shot in that format, because of how much scope they had.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks