Directors "Batman Begins" or "Superman Returns"?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by scottWI, Jul 7, 2006.

1. scottWI

scottWI Agent

I loved "Batman Begins" and think it is the superior movie in every way. SR wasn't that great of a movie. It was a lavish re-make of the much better Donner original.

None of the principles did anything for the part, nothing new, nothing old. They just existed. Reeves, Hackman, and Kidder did it much better.

I really wanted to love SR, but it simply wasn't made well. It didn't reinvent a franchise like BB clearly did. I was amazed at how much I loved BB for all the reasons that make movies in general great. Great story, acting, direction, and best of all execution. Everything seemed to work on every level.

So which do you think is the better movie?

ps) is there no way to do a poll in this forum?

2. Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette Cinematographer

Batman Begins.

That being said, I enjoyed Superman Returns, but the complaints that the film couldn't decide whether it was a sequel or a remake are completely on the money in my opinion. The movie does get props for putting familiar characters in unfamiliar emotional situations.

I found SR to be about on par with X2: X-Men United and superior to just about every other super-hero movie this decade expect the Spider-man movies and the aforementioned Batman Begins.

3. Michael:M

Michael:M Supporting Actor

Batman Begins wins this contest for me, without hesitation. While some folks had a lot of trouble with the third act, I didn't, and think the film really holds up on repeated viewings. It's a clear, focused film, with strong performances. It also has a discernible arc for the main character, and he's just as interesting as Bruce Wayne as he is in the costume.

SR had some high spots - gorgeously filmed, incredible effects, and two strong leads (Routh and Spacey). Routh, despite the snide remarks he's getting from some, did a solid job with the role and I bought him as both Clark and Superman. Having said that, SR is too meandering, adheres too closely to the 1978 film, and introduces some questionable elements (Jason Lane). Where SR fell down the most for me, however, is the lack of emotional connection with the story. I never cared about Lois, Jason, Richard, or really anyone else in the film except for Clark/Supes. Unlike the Bruce/Rachel relationship in BB, the Lois/Clark/Supes relationship was key to the film, and I didn't sense any chemistry or connection. I also felt like Bosworth was extremely flat in the role, and that the role was not well written.

It's a weakness shared by BB - Katie Holmes just didn't have the chops compared to the rest of the cast, and the part wasn't the greatest. However, it was a much smaller and less important role compared to Lois' in SR, and didn't negatively impact the film as much.

Despite the weaknesses and failings of SR, I look forward to the next film, and hope it's more of an original Superman story. I've been wanting the next Batman film since June 15 last year, but not for wanting better - just wanting more. [​IMG]

4. Mike.P

Mike.P Second Unit

I'll take Superman, but I in no way disliked BB.

Just liked SR that much more.

5. Bryan Ri

Bryan Ri Screenwriter

Bryan
    Loved Batman Begins, but I loved Superman Returns more.

6. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    BB

7. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

I thought BB was flawed (and still do), but its flaws are of the picking nits variety. The flaws with SR are much more substantial and go down to the bone.
    So, BB was, easily, overall a much better film-

however SR had the single greatest set piece in any film I've seen since possibly Raiders of the Lost Ark, and I am looking forward to further, hopefully more original adventures in the future.

8. Ray H

Ray H Producer

Ray
    Batman Begins for me. It's a much more enjoyable movie in my opinion and it's a joy to sit through.

9. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    Batman Begins

See ya in POLLS

10. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

11. Tim B

Tim B Auditioning

Batman Begins

For two reasons:

1. The premise of the movie was better.

2. Superman is a bad comic book hero. He is too powerful and he has no good villians. Batman has a laundry list of cool villians.

12. Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff Cinematographer

BATMAN BEGINS was the first time the character was done right on the big screen, so I might like it just a tiny bit more. One of the reasons I like it so much is because it really evokes the epic spirit and scope of SUPERMAN:THE MOVIE.

But SUPERMAN RETURNS is just about as good, and it's wonderful to have a great Superman movie again.