What's new

Batman Begins Deluxe edition problematic (1 Viewer)

DanRevill

Agent
I have a JVC TH-A35 DVD player and I've never experienced any problems with it since I bought it last summer. Anyhow, I bought the Deluxe Edition of Batman Begins today. I came home and put it in, and during the first few minutes it froze up.

So I went back to the store (Best Buy) where I bought it, but they had none left, so I have to wait for their next shipment later this week before an exchange.

Anyhow, I decided to try the disc again, and it worked the second time around until the layer change halfway through. It didn't freeze up as bad as the last time, but it did stop a few times for a second or two.

When it was freezing, what I noticed was that the horizontal seemed to go a little sketchy and my player made like it was thinking a little harder than usual. I haven't cleaned my machine since I bought it, so perhaps that's an issue. Should I try that first before getting the exchange? Or have others experienced problems with the disc?

Thanks in advance.

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
First of all - don't clean your machine. It's one rare player that needs cleaning. Second, have you played the disc on another machine? That is always the first thing you should do.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Dan,

Sorry to hear about your playback woes.

I'll watch my copy today on a Panasonic RP91 to
see if there are any problems....

...but I agree with Alan's post above that in MOST
cases defective playback is limited to a particular
player rather than being widespread.

Let's wait a few more days for other members to
receive their copies and report back as to any
potential problems.

JoePassmore

Stunt Coordinator
I've had problems on my Toshiba SD-2815. It will freeze for a few seconds, then skip ahead in 10-15 second intervals. I rented the single disc version on Monday and it started at the layer change, and again nearer to the end of the movie. Again it happened when I was watching disc 2 of my purchased deluxe version last night.:angry: :angry:

Brett_B

Supporting Actor
No problems here on the Sony DVPS-7000. The movie played from beginning to end without incident.

nickGreenwood

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Greenwood
I can't imagine the Deluxe Edition would be a different disc that the Single disc version or the double disc without the comic book version. See if a friend picked up the movie and try it on your player. Or rent it or Netflix it, see if it really is the disc or the player.

I've had no problems on my laptop nor my Panasonic VCR/DVD combo (don't remember the model number right off hand).

Good luck!

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
Watched it last night ( Deluxe version ) on a Bravo D1 via the dvi output and this player is well known for freeezing etc. but it played the disc without any problems. I frequently view alot of material on a 27" tv but in this case the 107" screen with front projection seemed to be the better choice. :) And what a great image for SD.

PatWahlquist

Supporting Actor
I put it in my Bravo D-1 and it would freeze two seconds after the disc started. You'd hear the opening piano chords of the WB intro, then it actually crashed the D-1. I finally got it out of the machine, wiped off the disc and put it back in. It was fine then.
Anyone know where the layer switch is? I had about a 1 second pause about 3/4 of the way thru the movie. This is the biggest layer pause I've ever noticed on this player.

Kevin Lamb

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Lamb

Interesting. I drove out to Best Buy to take advantage of a $10 BB gift card and the holographic cover on the Deluxe Edition (wicked cool!) and they only had *three* left in the store. I grabbed one and someone else grabbed another. So as we walked up to the checkout counter there was literally one Deluxe Edition left in the store. After less than a *day*. They had a ton of the single discs for $14.99 though.

Is it common for Best Buy to understock so dramatically or is the Deluxe selling out everywhere?

It played fine on my JVC btw.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Worked fine on my LG and Panny RV32 but keep getting an audio drop out in midflight of the first Tumbler roofjump - layer change? - and a quick picture breakup when Bats enters the Cave with Rachael and gets out of the tumbler on my RP91. Weird as it is the best quality player of the three.

BTW the bass on this thing is insane!

BennyD

Stunt Coordinator
No problems on my Sony player. I'll update with the model number when I get home tonight.

Porfirio

Second Unit
I Rented the single disc edition this weekend and did not have any playback problems on my Sony DVP-S550D.

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor

No, not on such a big title. Did you see the Batman Begins Shipper? Most of my store's stock came in on that big thing. It had full screen on one side and Widescreen on the other at the top and the bottom of both sides were filled with the 2-disc edition. We also got in several loose copies to fill our new release/feature wall and the inline area.

Karl B

Grip
Hi. Just thought I'd add that I'm having problems with the 2-disc Region 3 Batman Begins.

Playing it on my Pioneer 414 it gets to approx 76mins then breaks up for about minute/minute and half.

Bit annoying as the disc itself is spotless, and I've had five region 3 discs in the past that have all played fine (including a Warner film).

Oh, disc was made in Taiwan, if that makes any difference.

Ivan Lindenfeld

Second Unit
Had horrible problems with Disc 2 of the DE on my Apex. Would load the first screen, but navigation would fail at various points in the comics, ending in a lockup. I tried various times.

I loaded it into my 1997 Toshiba player in the bedroom and watched some special features for about an hour until I fell asleep! Dammit! WHo needs sleep, this is Batman Begins!

I just junked my first Apex since it stopped recognizing any media, CD, DVD, commercial, burned, etc. Not bad, I thought, for 2 years and $35 spent.

After reading this thread I am not convinced it is my player, but I did experience an audio dropout with the "new" (in the box but 2 years old)Apex at the very beginning of "Cinderella". I have not yet tried that disc in my Tosh.

Bad discs are such an inconvenience.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Just wanted to get back to you. Plays perfect
on my Panasonic RP91.

My God! I forgot how awesome a movie this is!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks