Batman: Batwoman? Freeze?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Phil Florian, Feb 11, 2004.

1. Phil Florian

Phil Florian Screenwriter

Howdy!
    I am a huge fan of the original animated release of the Timm/Dini flagship movie, "Batman: Mask of the Phantasm." To date, the top Batman movie to hit big or small screen, in my opinion (with Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker closing in fast, surprisingly). Anyway, I was wondering if the quality held up enough to warrant purchases of any of the other ones, in particular the newest one, "Mystery of the Batwoman" but I am curious about the Mr. Freeze one and the Superman/Batman movie.

Thanks!

Phil

2. Ocean Phoenix

Ocean Phoenix Supporting Actor

I've seen "Sub-Zero" and "The Batman-Superman Movie", and while neither have the "epic" feel of "Batman: Mask Of The Phantasm", they are still both excellent animated films. I guess how much you'll enjoy them depends on how much you like the characters. The movie with Mr. Freeze is more about him than Batman, unlike "Mask Of The Phantasm", which focused on Bruce Wayne and Batman more than the villains.

"The Batman-Superman Movie" doesn't really feel like a movie...it's more like a few really fun Batman/Superman crossover episodes. The great thing about it is the humourous ways that all of the characters interact, like Lex Luthor constantly being infuriated with The Joker, Bruce Wayne/Batman taunting Superman while wooing Lois Lane, and the catfight between Harley Quinn and Mercy.

If you will only be satisfied with a Batman animated movie that is a lot like the one you've already seen, you will be disappointed in the others, but if you're a big fan of the Batman and/or Superman cartoons who is likely to enjoy any of their adventures as long as they have well-written stories with good action sequences and a bit of fun humour throughout, you will like them.

I've been to a few websites that have good reviews of the Batman animated films that might be helpful to you, but unfortunately I can't post them because I am once again screwed over by this website's policy of not letting people with less than 15 posts share links (since I am newbie). [​IMG]

3. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    i would recommend the uncut version of "return of the joker"
    it takes place during the batman beyond, but is an excellent movie.

4. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

I have them all and love them all. [​IMG]

but if Superman: TAS gets released in season sets, I might sell off the batman/superman disc.

5. James T

James T Screenwriter

In order of my favourite bat cartoon films,

1. Mask of the Phantasm
    2. Return of the Joker
    3. World's Finest(The Batman-Superman movie)
    4. Sub-Zero
    5. Mystery of Batwoman

I was disappointed with Mystery of the Batwoman. It's worth a rental, but not worth a purchase IMO. I didn't care much for the story, the action or the little use of supporting characters. Barbara makes a cameo, but a 2-line cameo. And no mention of Nightwing. But I did like the final battle with a familiar bat-villian.

6. Phil Florian

Phil Florian Screenwriter

Thanks for the recommendations. I have the "uncut" Return of the Joker, which is why it is right up there with the Mask of the Phantasm, but thanks for the thought! [​IMG] I am not a purist so maybe Ocean's comments are right on. I loved the original and newer animated series of the Bat. I didn't watch as many of Superman, though. They were good but they were on at times that I just didn't keep up with. I watched a bunch in a row when they hit a certain time slot with Cartoon Network but not since then. Sounds like the Superman/Batman movie is a good start followed by Sub-Zero. I read that Batwoman doesn't have any of the original creative team on it, just the voice talent. Gotta have Timm or Dini, man!

Thanks for advice. When you get to 15 posts, put up some websites! [​IMG] That is a good rule, though...keeps people from just coming on to hawk their wares and disappear.

Phil

7. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

Well I think Burnett and Geda did a pretty good job. [​IMG]

8. Ray H

Ray H Producer

Ray
    I'd recommend Return of the Joker. I thought Subzero was a fine movie. As said earlier, it focuses more on Freeze, but it's still worth watching.

I saw Batwoman recently. While I thought it was alright, it was kind of dull. It might make a better rental than a purchase.

9. Mike*Sch

Mike*Sch Stunt Coordinator

Does anyone know if the SUB-ZERO DVD is letterboxed? The laserdisc was, but I heard that the DVD wasn't, which is the only reason why I have not purchased it yet.

Thanks.