What's new

Batman Anthology: Bilingual Packaging in Canada? (1 Viewer)

Jeremy Brupaste

Stunt Coordinator
Need a little help here, people! Warner Brothers has adopted bilingual packaging in Canada starting with 'Batman Begins', but does anyone know if the four-disk motion picture anthology will have this as well?

Please! Help!

Paul Sandhu

Supporting Actor
I held the packaging in my hands... I work at Wal-Mart.

No French writing that I recall. $57.97 CDN for those wondering.

Rolando

Screenwriter
thanks for the info Paul, hope you don't mind if I quote you on the US VS CAN release post.

Hope to hear confirmation about the Batman Begins set.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
What the bloody hell is this all about? They wait seven fucking years to finally pander to French-Canadians? I'll never understand bi-ling covers in Canada. You don't see 'Spanish-friendly' covers used in America by the Big Studios, do you? Maybe that says something about America's attitude towards Spanish-Americans, eh?

People praise Warner for using original artwork for their DVDs, but all that artistic credibility goes to pot when you have those absurd alternate French titles, the ones where it isn't even a translation of the original title, but a whole new title splayed across the cover, confusing my tiny grey sponge. Bastards!

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Nicholas, my pernicious attention to trivialities in world of Avian Influenza, war and mass mental anguish is what makes me who I am! Ha-ha-ha! :D

Rob T

Screenwriter
well I guess I'll be ordering Batman Begins from ddd.com.
I'd like to see this for myself first though.
If Warner Bros. has gone to the dark side, I'll be quite sad. They are (or were, at least) one of the last few not doing this kind of crap.

Paul Sandhu

Supporting Actor

Sure go ahead, and as much as I can recall... BB is english only. Not too sure about the back of the cover though.

Jim Harvey

Second Unit
That's so weird. So now I've heard that we're getting both bilingual and regular cover art, and I've seen ads with bilingual and regular cover art. This is pretty damn weird . . . but interesting.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
This is a big deal to European importers, as many of us either by from Canadian etailers, or from Play USA.com who import a lot of their stock from Canada. Does CD-WOW stock bi-ling editions? Either way, they do not stock every Big Studio, big-selling R1 title. I recently was stung with a bi-ling edition of The Fly: Special Edition or La Mouche. The spine looks SO cluttered and confusing.

I seem to ranting more than the Canadians here, eh? What a hoser, am I. :D

Jeremy Brupaste

Stunt Coordinator
La Mouche, ha ha ha.

I found a copy of 'The Fly' for sale THREE WEEKS before street date here in Canada, but because it had the above words on it, I passed.

The thing is, the studios think they're saving money by slapping both languages on the cover, but from the comments I've read here and on other boards, it seems like a nice little percentage of people stay clear of them altogether. Which means, I guess, that they're LOSING money, not SAVING it.

Anyway, back to the matter at hand. Can't anyone confirm or deny if the Batman Anthology has bilingual packaging?!? It's getting close to zero hour here, fellas! HELP!

Rob T

Screenwriter

That's confirmation enough for me. Time to order it from the states. :frowning:

ChristianB

Stunt Coordinator
Gordon McMurphy, Canada is an official "bilingual" country with two "official" languages: English and French. Practically everything bought and consumed here has bilingual packaging (just walk the aisles of your local supermarket). We have certain language laws that govern "consumer packaged goods." In some ways, Canadians are used to having bilingual packaging. The USA is officially English, and although the Spanish population there has exploded and is growing at a rapid pace, some studios are catering specifically to that market. However I don't expect DVDs there to have English and Spanish on them anytime soon or ever. The bottom line here is money :)

Think about it another way. Which is easiest for Warner to produce - three UPCs for Batman Begins (Fullscreen, Widescreen and the Deluxe Edition) or six? It's comes down to minimizing cost and maximizing sales. Less work for them. Unfortunately, this Tuesday, Batman Begins will still sell tons of copies here in Canada. It would be interesting to determine how many people would NOT buy Batman Begins, just because it has English and French on it. It's a mass produced piece of plastic :)

What puzzles me is why Warner threw in the towel now? Universal and Paramount have been producing bilingual packaging since early 2002. Well, since Fox started about a year ago and MGM recently, I'm not surprised. That leaves just Disney/Buena Vista and Sony left as giving us 'fans' a choice when it comes to packaging. Another strange thing is why MGM still produces bilingual when Sony bought them. I would assume it would stop? Guess not. We're a minority now, and we have to live with it. At least the Canadian dollar exchange rate continues to be excellent...it works out that buying my copy at Amazon.com is bilingual free and cheaper!

:)

- Christian

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member

Exactly how much is it total with shipping in Canadian Dollars?

What about customs charges?

If the price is better than buying it here (Oshawa, Ontario) then I might consider it...

ChristianB

Stunt Coordinator
I don't ship just one DVD. I'll bundle it with a couple more releases. Amazon's heavy discounts off new releases (48% off Batman Begins for example) are hard to pass up. Combine that with the great exchange rate :)

My next Amazon order is nine pieces (a mix of DVD and CDs) - estimated shipping costs are $22, so about $2.44 each. Whether that's a good deal in your opinion, I'm not sure. It's all relative I guess. For my convenience, I think it is. :)

I doubt I'll pay any customs charges as I haven't all year. I've been buying a ton of books lately and surprisingly not been taxed. :emoji_thumbsup:

- Christian

Magnus T

Supporting Actor
I don't know about Canada, but books in Norway are tax free no matter what. DVD's on the other hand... not so much.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
Thanks.

I guess I'll think about it- how much I want an english cover vs. how badly I want to see the movie itself- for the first time, since it's my first "blind buy".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks