Batman Animated to be released in order, confirmed by Bruce Timm!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dedrick, Dec 3, 2001.

1. Dedrick

Dedrick Agent

Here is the article from toonzone:
    LINK
    Not season sets but close.

2. Tom Brennan

Tom Brennan Screenwriter

Actually, I'm a bit disapointed that it won't in season by season box sets. I guess they feel they can milk more money out of us this way.

3. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Actually, I think this kinda sucks.

We saw Scooby Doo's Original Mysteries in this first-5-episodes-in-order format, and then the next disc was a best-of (Scooby Doo's Spookiest Tales).

We saw Batman Beyond in this first-5-episodes-in-order format, and then the next disc was...oh; there wasn't a next disc!

Warners never seems to finish what they start with this stuff. If they put out a season box set to begin with, I'd have some hope that they'd continue to move forward with it as we all hope.

For what it's worth, I just checked the transcript of the WB chat in which they said B:TAS was coming, along with the other Batman stuff. NOWHERE did they indicate anything more that this "first-5-episodes-in-order" format. Actually, they never specified ANY format at all.

So this is what we get, folks! Sigh.

4. Michael St. Clair

Paramount tried this with Star Trek TOS...then realized that FOX had the right idea. I guess Warner wants to learn from their own mistakes.

I'll buy the Batman discs, as many as they release. But they'd sell a lot more with boxes

5. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Damn you Warner!!!
    I certainly hope you don't plan to pelease Babylon 5 like this!!!!
    I want season box sets!!

6. Dedrick

Dedrick Agent

I wanted season sets too, but these will have to do. There are a LOT of Batman Animated fans and this disc will sell quite well. If you notice in the article Bruce Timm says "discs" which means they have done more than one. They also appear to be going this route with Samurai Jack, but since it is so different one week to the next that it would be hard to do anything but release them in order.

7. GaryEA

GaryEA Second Unit

Oh boy, I knew this was coming...

8. Jose Q

Jose Q Stunt Coordinator

Warner: 1

Majority of fans that want season sets: 0

Vote with your wallets people.

9. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

While I would prefer season box sets. Batman has weird season episode counts. I think the first season was like 40 episodes, the next was 13. I will wait and see what Warner does. If they do release ALL the episodes and the price is not outrageous, I will still get them all. I was more concerned about THEME sets than not getting them in season box sets.

10. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

11. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    Well Dissapointing since they'll probably have a list price of at least $19.95 So figuring a Discount of $5.00 and $14.95 a disk , for 65 episodes asuming they do them all that's about $175 for the Set, and that's conservative, and that's a bit much.

12. Brian Cruz

Brian Cruz Agent

Season sets wouldn't really work for Batman. In terms of production, the first season had 65 episodes, the 2nd had 20, and the 3rd had 24. In term of broadcast seasons, the 1st had 60 episodes, the 2nd had 10, the 3rd had 10, the 4th had 5, the 5th had 13, and the 6th had 11. How do you make that work?

13. Tom Brennan

Tom Brennan Screenwriter

Brian, if thats the case, you could break the first season down into volumes such as "Season One - Volume One", "Season One- Volume Two", etc. I can't believe they are going this route. At this pace they will never complete the series on DVD. They have a record of not finishing what they started.

14. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Cinematographer

I was pleased when I saw the header, but when I actually read this news I was disappointed. Like some others, I don't believe that Warner will actually get through this series by releasing it this way. How many episodes are there, counting all series? At least a hundred? Going five episodes at a time that's a lot of dvd's and a lot of money to spend.

15. Brian Cruz

Brian Cruz Agent

16. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Use a bit of imagination, and you can work this out.
    Ya got 99 episodes, right? At about 20-ish minutes each, I'm guessing. Let's say 9 episodes per disc (that's 180 minutes or 3 hours).
    That's 11-ish discs, right? Put "Season 1" (60 eps) on 7 discs, sell it. Put the other eps ("Seasons 2-5") on 5 more discs, sell it. I just worked in an extra disc; now you have room for supplements of some sort.
    Why was that so hard to figure out?
    Too many discs in one box? Price will be too high? Okay, scrag the "by season" concept; just keep the eps in order.
    Release 4 boxes of 3 discs each for about $30-$40. Label them "Batman: The COMPLETE Animated Series, Box 1 of 4", etc.
    I should work for Warners, eh? [​IMG]

17. Dedrick

Dedrick Agent

There is one thing to remember, this is Warner. As far as I know they have never even hinted at doing season sets on any of there tv product. For all we know the creators had to fight to get them released this way. When I heard the news I was pleased to know they would be released in order instead of best of bullshit. The amount of fans of this show should give enough sales to get the whole series made.

18. Neil_Duffy

Neil_Duffy Second Unit

Can anything be done to get Warner to re-think their Batman Animated strategy?
    3 box sets of 30-34 episodes per set. Thats the way to go. Do they not realise that people like to be completists? If there's only a vague goal - 'We'll release five here or there,' no one will be interested in investing in something that they will never be able to finish. It's destined to fail. [​IMG]
    Even Paramount woke up to that one!
    Is there anything constructive we purchasers can do to help refine the strategy so that the series is presented on dvd correctly?

19. Jay_Sharp

Jay_Sharp Stunt Coordinator

-sigh-

While I'm pleased as punch we're getting BTAS on DVD in full, eventually....I expected WB to do something like this.

With regards to the Dark Knight, Warner Bros has been one dissapointment after another (in varying degrees) ever since Batman Forever. I commend them for producing BTAS and BB, but they're completely clueless on who Batman's audience really is. I think their marketing really doesn't know who the core demographic is.

Someone is not doing their job.

20. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

While I would prefer 5 20 episode boxes, as long as it's in order and all of them I have no objection. However I would want those 2-parters joined [​IMG]
    Remember to finish what you start Warner! And don't take 2 years between discs, every other month for singles, and every 4-6 months if you were to do a box set would be just fine.
    Jeff Kleist