What's new

Batman Animated dvd??? (1 Viewer)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I had heard some of the Batman animated series was being released on dvd. Does anyone know when and how many episodes are coming?

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
4/23. The five episodes, presented in production order, are:

On Leather Wings

Christmas with the Joker

Nothing to Fear

The Last Laugh

Pretty Poison

Hopefully the second set won't be structured in the same way, as we'd wind up with half of a two-parter (Two-Face: Part One), what is arguably the worst episode of the series (The Underdwellers), and two lackluster episodes (The Forgotten and Be A Clown). The set's only saving grace would be P.O.V.

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
The distribution of episodes is so wildly uneven that season sets don't make any sense. I agree, though, that a much larger number of episodes per release would be greatly preferable.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i just found the tape i made when these first aired and my first 4 eps in order are.

1. on leather wings.

2. heart of ice

3. feet of clay pt.1

4. feet pt. 2.

tape 2 of my collection has

5. it's never too late

6. jokers favor

7. pretty poisen

8. harley AND IVEY.

is this the actual air order of the first 8 eps?

Anthony Liz

Stunt Coordinator
Your first tape is in correct order but On Leather Wings wasn't the first show that aired. Following FEET OF CLAY pt2 came It's never too late, and Joker's Favor. The rest on tape 2 are out of order.
Since I'm currently running a contest that asks a similar question, I can't say the fist :)

Rob T

Screenwriter
I thought this disc was merely a test disc to see if theres a market for season box sets, like what they're doing with B5.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
anthony i didn't know you had a contest going. i'll have to look at your site more often. the reason i was asking was because the eps on the dvd are stated as being released in production order or words to that affect.

so while i was going though a box of my old tapes i found tapes with about all the episodes on them. including the tapes that i have titles as "tape I" AND "tape II ".

a always reembered that the first show aired on a sunday night at 7 eastern time. but the more i think about it i think my copy of that show whatever it was got messed up in some way. so now i cant remember what that first airing was.

no way i could guess the last show to air the first season.

the first season had 55 shows. didnt it/

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
The first episode aired? That's an easy one... the two-parter "The Cat and the Claw, Part I" aired first. The Link Removed has the airdates, and if I'm not mistaken they're also printed in Batman: Animated along with the episode capsules.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
I thought this disc was merely a test disc to see if theres a market for season box sets, like what they're doing with B5.
I may have said this on another thread, but if that is the case, I still don't understand that theory. The people that want boxed sets are more likely to not buy single discs because they're waiting for the sets.
That said, I probably will be picking up this disc. :rolleyes

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
The episodes in this DVD collection are, without a glimmer of a doubt, in order. They are presented in production order, though.
I believe Tony is correct and that On Leather Wings did get aired on a Friday at 7 PM, shortly before the first part of The Cat And The Claw. I haven't been able to find any verification of this in any of the number of episode guides floating around online, but I'm positive that's the case.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Wasnt Heart Of Ice the first Episode to air?

I think you guys are correct, and these are in the order of Production not Airdates.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
What I recall most about the episode "Heart of Ice" was that a segment of it was incorporated onto the demo disc which came with my original Panasonic 3D0 videogame system.
Which I still have. Which I hooked back up a few weeks ago. Which I played the segment on the demo disc.
All-in-all, not bad quality, all things considered. No way it would be acceptable by today's standards, though! :D

Brian Cruz

Agent
Here are two Batman episode lists, one in production order and one in broadcast order:
Production Order
Broadcast Order
Both orders have problems with breaking up certain two-parters. Cartoon Network always aired them in broadcast order but with the two-parters kept together. I imagine the DVDs would do that as well.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
I believe Tony is correct and that On Leather Wings did get aired on a Friday at 7 PM, shortly before the first part of The Cat And The Claw. I haven't been able to find any verification of this in any of the number of episode guides floating around online, but I'm positive that's the case.
"The Cat and the Claw, Part I" aired on Saturday, 9/5/1992, followed by "On Leather Wings" the next day, Sunday, 9/6, with "Heart of Ice" being the first weekday episode on 9/7. The coffee table behind-the-scenes book by Paul Dini, Batman: Animated, verifies the info along with the IMDB entry.
The first season, according to the book, has 60 episodes, the last one airing on 5/24/1993. Season 2 started in December of that year, for another 10 episodes ending with Harlequinade on 5/23/1994. Season 3 picks up on 9/10/1994 with the name change to The Adventures of Batman and Robin and goes for another 15 episodes, the last 5 being held up for almost a year.
In the original broadcast order, Kate Mulgrew's Red Claw ushers the series in and out, appearing in both "The Cat and the Claw" and "The Lion and the Unicorn"

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
I'm obviously going by memory here, so I'm very likely wrong. :D Did that Sunday broadcast of On Leather Wings air at night? If it did, that would seem to be what I had in mind.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
a always remebered that the first show aired on a sunday night at 7 eastern time. but the more i think about it i think my copy of that show whatever it was got messed up in some way. so now i cant remember what that first airing was
adam that is a quote from my ealier post in this thread. on leather wings did air on a sunday night but the first ep aired the day before on a saturday morn. "the cat and the claw pt 1"

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
Okay. I do remember catching both previews, but I guess my memory's just faulty as to which one came first.

Sadly, before the series first aired, my thought was, "the guy from Rachel Gunn R.N. is voicing Batman?"

-Adam, who used to watch Rachel Gunn R.N.

Rob T

Screenwriter
I may have said this on another thread, but if that is the case, I still don't understand that theory. The people that want boxed sets are more likely to not buy single discs because they're waiting for the sets.

That said, I probably will be picking up this disc.
I'll be picking up all 5 of the Batman discs for sure, but I'd still like to have season box sets of the show.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
What don't you people get? Season sets wouldn't work for this show. It doesn't have standard seasons like sitcoms and standard dramas do. The first season had like 60 episodes, then the rest didn't break 20. That would look awfully funny sale wise.
I agree that each set should have more discs/episodes though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks