What's new

Batman and Superman SE DVDs will be released? (1 Viewer)

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
The current release of Superman is an SE. Batman SE will come next year around the time new movie hits. Lois and Clark is being considered for DVD.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
You are looking for pan-n-scan SE's of all four Supermans?

Seriously? For one thing, you won't get a lot of support looking for pan-n-scan ANYTHING around here. Sorry, but it's true.

That being said, there are no SEs for any Superman flicks other than the first one. Nor do there appear to be any plans to make any. As for the first movie, the original theatrical cut isn't available...to my knowledge.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
"...without sound modifications..."

Doubt it. The original sound stems were damaged, so the foley was almost entirely recreated. They tried to maintain similar sounds whenever possible, but of course the movie does sound quite different now. It could be worse, though: the movie could not have been restored at all and we'd have nothing but crummy dupes to use as video masters.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Turner Classic Movies shows the 1978 theatrical version of Superman: The Movie (cut down from the restored extended version), with the original stereo, I think.

ZackR

Supporting Actor
Actually, I am pretty sure that since the DVD's release, all the showings on TCM have included the new soundtrack.

I for one would love a release of the theatrical version...even if the sound quality was not up to par with the current DVD...I would just love to have the original film. Oh well, at least I have the LD. Note: I do like the DVD - it is excellent, however, I ALWAYS (ALWAYS ALWAYS) will push for the theatrical versions of films to be made available. I don't care if the director was pressured by the evil studios to change the movie and I don't care if he changes his mind later on some scenes and wants to release his "true vision" for the film. If a director wants to update his movie to a "director's cut" or whatever, then I am all for it. In fact, I enjoy seeing them. I just wish they would include the theatrical versions too, as that is often the version many people remember or grew up with. That is why you will find crappy flipper versions of Robin Hood: POT and Amadeus in my collection - they are the theatrical versions. But I do also own the updated, extended versions as well. :)
Sorry for the aside here - back on topic, YES, bring on a Superman: The Movie theatrical cut and a Batman SE...oh, and Superman 2 with at least a Special Features section with the excised Donner footage.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Percebe, you'll be waiting a long time. Any "extra" footage from II-IV hasn't been released. (At least not on R1 releases...not sure about other regions) The footage is not available. There are no plans to release "collectors editions" of II, III or IV.

ZackR

Supporting Actor
The footage may not be available on DVD, but it is available as much of it has aired on standard broadcast TV. I have several VHS tapes with much of this footage. Granted, it is pan and scan, but still. S4 has very little extra that has been seen, except for the tornado and USSR scenes that air on TV, though there is the famous 134 minute cut that was shown to preview audiences in 1987, but that footage has supposedly been destroyed.

I would love SE's of all the films with extensive deleted scenes sections!

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
The current Superman SE is perfect - great restoration with video and audio; great, informative extras too.

I would like to see Superman II restored, but it's unlikely. What bothers me most of SII is the weak audio track. Don't try watching it right after watching the first movie.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
I'll take Dolby Digital (2.0 OR 5.1) over VHS/TV stereo ANY day. I can't see how you can even compare the two.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H

Was it ever that short? I recall the VHS version being around 140 mins or so. I know it was well over 124 mins. That sounds more like the S2 run-time. Or was the old VHS release not the theatrical cut either?

Stephen Brooks

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen Brooks
After Warner is through with the 10-disc Matrix set, maybe they can give us an 8-disc Batman set in time for Batman Begins. 2 discs for each movie, new transfers and audio mixes, commentaries, deleted scenes, trailers, the works. Priced right and timed with the new movie it should be a HUGE seller.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks