What's new

Batman ('60s series) STILL NOT coming to DVD! (Major update post #52) (2 Viewers)

mannix

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
tim
I hope this released out on dvd because this one program on my list of shows
to be added to my collection

Ron68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron
Yay! If true. Not sure I want a complete series set by the end of the year, there are a lot of expensive sets that I'm hoping to get before the year is out anbd don't need another. Season sets would be fine with me

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
When I first read the title I thought, "Wait a minute! It's too early for April Fool's Day!"

How AWESOME is this??!! I hope that the release gets the "red carpet" treatment like Dick Van Dyke Show and Get Smart did.

Venice-H

Agent
I'll believe it when I see it listed on Amazon and nobody's whining about how much they changed the original episodes.

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Gregory
Before anyone gets too excited, remember that the Batman movie with Adam West has "the TV version of Batman" in it.

I would have my hopes raised a lot more if the source had said "Adam West is working on extras for the Batman TV series" and not just "the TV version of Batman"

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
If this is true, its great news. If this comes out, then their should be no excuses, for any unreleased tv show on dvd.If Fox and Warner can agree to release this, then it automaticlly puts extreme pressure on other studios to release their classic shows.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

That movie (with Adam West) was just re-issued on Blu-Ray on July 1 with new bonus materials. What the Bits is referring to is the TV show, which ran 120 episodes from 1966-1968. I wouldn't get hopes up until an announcement is made, but this is the most positive development on the release of this series ever, and the Bits isn't known for reporting wild, unsubstantiated rumors.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
I'll believe it when I see it. Then, perhaps Fox will pay attention to some other vintage classic showws in its vaults- Peyton Place, anyone?

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member

Exactly what I was thinking when I read the news. I suspected they wanted to hedge bets and get something "in the can" before West "kicks the can". There's plenty or precedent for doing extras long in advance of a release: for Doctor Who, for instance, Anthony Ainley recorded a commentary for Survival and the story wasn't actually released until well after he died. The BBC also made sure they recorded multiple commentaries back-to-back when they had people around who weren't readily available (like Katy Manning, who lives in Australia).

I'm not going to believe this until there's solid news from the studios, and even then, not until close to release, as I'm sure things could fall through at the last minute.

Jack Cleveland

Second Unit

Count me in for both if they happen!

If Batman is handled right, with great extras, I'll buy! But I do hope this isn't another opportunity that get's held up again.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
Oh please let this happen, please...

We already know that TAS has it's complete series release before Christmas and I'd be shocked if they didn't try to get TDK out before then too. But what is also interesting is WB discontinued the original four Batman movie anthology not too long ago and so perhaps planning a reissue of all of the above next year.

One can only hope.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew

As far as I know, no. So unless I miss my guess, WB will probably package the six Batman movies together for a mega Blu-Ray set in the future. Just hope that standard DVD gets another shot.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Any audience member who sat through the brooding, complex, tormented nihilistic, overly-serious version of Batman that is The Dark Knight, should be required by law to watch this series and be reminded that ... it's a comic book about a man in a bat costume!

Holy Paxil, Batman, lighten up and have a little fun!

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa

I hope they realize that this would move large enough numbers to justify a Blu Ray release, we know how good the movie looked and TV from this error, filmed TV looks fantastic, so give us a SD and HD Choice Fox.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa

I think there's room for a visions of Batman, I enjoy them all from Dark and brooding to the 60's version. No need to look down your nose at any of them. Warner Animation is doing the Brave and Bold Series this fall which will be a throw back to a "Lighter" in tome Batman that Kids will be able to watch. Although I think most kids can handle TAS pretty well, even thou it's more serious in tone.

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
If they are in fact prepping the BATMAN tv show for a DVD release in time for Christmas, I would expect an official announcement would most likely be made no later than September.

As for the character himself, one of the reasons Batman is such an enduring character is because he is open to so many great interpretations, both darker and lighter. The character was originally conceived as a very dark and menacing character back in 1938 by Bob Kane and Bill Finger, but that didn't stop William Dozier from giving us his wonderful interpretation of the character in 1966.
Personally, I enjoy all of the interpretations (except for that @#$@# Schumacher version in the mid-90's, which was far campier than anything the 1966 show produced).

Can't wait to get this whenever it comes out! I figured it had a snowball's chance in hell of happening.

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
The release of this series alone would definitely be strong enough incentive for me to convert to BR.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks