What's new

Batman ('60s series) STILL NOT coming to DVD! (Major update post #52) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
UPDATE POST #52: Series Not Being Released To DVD At This Time

I think hell froze over thanks to Mr. Freeze....

This was posted in Bill Hunt's update today...

Nothing definitive but it looks more than promising.

JoshuaB.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
Holy Disbelief, Batman!

If this is does pan out, it will be absolutely fantastic news. This is the holy grail of TV on DVD! I like my Batman dark, but the TV series is a pop art masterpiece that deserves to be released and seen!

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
I hope this news is true, but I'll believe it when I see it. Maybe they came to their senses and realized that with the outrageous sums of money that The Dark Knight is making, perhaps there will be plenty of money on the TV show DVD's to go around for all parties.

Perhaps Fox is hedging their bets that they will one day be able to release the show, and is therefore getting Adam West to do special features in anticipation of that?

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
If this turns out to be true, this would be the crown jewel of 60s television (along with a release of The Green Hornet).

I'm very anxious to know more about this!

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I hope it it is not only released but released intact, with all scenes and no digitally changed Batmobile (last I heard one of the holdups was getting the rights to show the Batmobile in the episodes).

This is good news, but not only will I wait to see it to believe it, I'll wait until making sure all the scenes are there, the main title music is there, and all the underscore is complete and unchanged, and the credits unaltered.

I'm definitely a jaded DVD buyer now who no longer pines for anything or pre-orders sets months in advance like I used to. Hopefully with the passage of time my spirits and faith will be restored, but right now, for me, there is no joy in cuts-ville.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Wow! Thanks for the word Ron! (And Bill!)

As I said in a post in the "shows you want on DVD thread," THIS is the moment of supreme Batmania, with the unparalleled success of the Dark Knight movie. By not having the series out in time for the movie, the studios lost a significant window of opportunity. I also said they have one more window: When Dark Knight comes to DVD. Maybe they will make it.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
This is definitely one of my holy grail sets. I grew up watching this and Emergency every day (in reruns of course). I actually think it would be fun to make another movie series with the absurd villains from the 60s (Book-Worm, King Tut, etc...)

Hopefully if this is true, it's done in one lump. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this show was only 3 seasons long.

I met Adam West a few years ago and at the time he seemed bewildered why the studios hadn't resolved their differences.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
:O

I'll buy it! Nuff said!!

Wait, Stan Lee always said "Nuff Said!" wrong universe....

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
Eric Peterson said:
Hopefully if this is true, it's done in one lump. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this show was only 3 seasons long.
Good point. It would be very smart (and highly profitable) if they release the show as a complete series set (with extra bonus features) for $100-$150 or so on day one, and also simultaneously as individual season releases (without bonus features) for those that can't afford it or only want a specific season. Win-win for all!

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I'm in absolute, total, shock!!!
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

I didn't think we had a prayer of seeing this series on DVD (in any form) this decade!

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Perhaps this is one of those vintage show shockers that Dave and Gord hinted at a while back. They said some great classic stuff was in the pipeline, so maybe this was what they were alluding to.

Gary "it would be smart to release this in one big set by Christmas and capitalize on the current movie and such" O.

LCD22

Screenwriter
I'm glad this finally got resolved.

That's one Fox title that had "rights issue" down... now where's the hopeful news of "The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis"? The Max Shulman estate is holding this one up.

Real Name
Ryan
Wow. This sounds like great news to me. The huge success of The Dark Knight definitely triggered this whole thing, no question about it.

I noticed recently that the Adam West Batman show has been getting merchandise/collectibles:

-Boxer shorts with the BATMAN title font.
-1:50 scale Hot Wheels die-cast collectibles of the Batmobile, Batcycle, and Batboat, a Comic-Con exclusive 3-pack of the Batmobile, Batcycle, and the Bat-Girl Cycle.
-The movie on Blu-Ray.

Also, with WB going to release Batman: The Complete Animated Series on DVD this November and next year being the 70th (!) Anniversary of the Dark Knight, I'm anticipating something big is going to come our way. All of this Bat-Merchandise points to something big, somewhere over the horizon.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Mark Lx

Second Unit
I'd love to get this. This is the ONLY Batman. Taking superheroes seriously is...........well....stupid (and scary). I embarrassed to say I read that Dark Knight crap 20 years ago.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
The gentlemen who run the 66 Batman Board, who have connections to West, have been hinting that something has been in the works for quite some time but they (understandably) would never offer specifics.

It'll be interesting to see if this is limited to just West or if Burt "Boy Wonder" Ward has been invited also.

Then again, the skeptic in me wonders if someone looked at the calendar and realized that Mr. West turns 80 in a few weeks and decided to at least get something from him committed to film before the ravages of time got to him.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

I'm sure he will be. He was there for the commentary and special features for the Batman: The Movie DVD release. People have been waiting so long for this that if Fox does have to go ahead to release this, they will probably go the extra mile in terms of features.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks