Batman (1989) LD vs. DVD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tom-G, Dec 2, 2001.

1. Tom-G

Tom-G Screenwriter

Tom G
    I'm contemplating purchasing the 1989 version of Batman but I'm curious about one thing - the sound. How does the sound on the LD compare the 5.1 sound on the DVD?

The track on the DVD is very weak. I'm hoping that the LD offers better sound.

2. Dave H

Dave H Producer

All I know is that I hope a special edition is released in 2002 of this film because it needs and deserves it.

3. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Tom_G, I've been collecting DVD's for over 2 years now. I'm closing in on 1000 discs.
    I [rant]love[/rant] the Batman movie you're talking about. Absolutely [rant]love[/rant] it!
    I've seen the DVD as cheap as $7.99 and STILL skip buying it. I don't own it on DVD at all.
    Why not? After getting into the format, I was told quickly by lots and lots of folks that the DVD is sooooo bad it is a disservice to the film! Terrible video, not-great audio, and just all-around an early effort made back when DVD was new and they didn't have their authoring shit together.
    I decided pretty quick to wait for a new version, an SE. It looks like my patience may be rewarded in 2002.
    In the meantime, as you can see, I have plenty of other fine discs to keep me busy! How do I stand to not have this film, cheap though it may be? Mentally, I just tell myself "it's not released yet...it's not released yet". I can pretend pretty good... [​IMG]

4. Heinz W

Heinz W Second Unit

I wouldn't say the video is 'terrible' on the current version, in fact I think it is rather good for an early DVD release. But the audio is rather anemic, and pales next to a contemporary reference disc like TPM.

A SE is definitely in order for this film!

David, if you love this film and have seen it for such a good price why deny yourself? The SE is probably at least a year away! Also, a Batman SE hasn't been announced officially yet, has it?

5. Roland Wandinger

Roland Wandinger Stunt Coordinator

Warner needs to redo about all their DVDs from 1997 and early 1998 they all look terrible!

6. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

If I get a chance, I'll spin up both my LD and DVD of Batman, and let you know.

7. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

8. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

The video on the current Batman DVD is much superior to the LD, especially if you can take advantage of the full 16:9-enhanced resolution. Yes, it could look even better, but at the moment it's the best way to enjoy the award-winning production design.
    The audio is a bit anemic. The score doesn't quite have the epic sweep it should. But overall I still prefer the DVD.
    M.

9. Gruson

Gruson Second Unit

Buy the DVD already!!!
    I own it and I love it. The video in not that bad. I have a progressive player and a 65" HDTV and it actually is pretty damn good looking. It is not the best but hey, it's Batman and it is anamorphic!
    There is just something great seeing The Bat on a big TV [​IMG]
    Audio is just ok but there is no way in hell I would have waited years to see this DVD. It is cheap too, get it!

10. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

I have the LDs for the first three Batman movies (Batman, Batman Returns, Batman Forever-- NOT Batman & Robin) and have been holidng out until a DVD SE release. The video for the first film is admittedly spotty, but Batman Returns and Batman Forever look extremely clean. As I don't have the DVDs, I can't compare the sound, but the PCM tracks on the LDs sound just great.

11. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

12. Heinz W

Heinz W Second Unit

13. Matt Birchall

Matt Birchall Supporting Actor

One thing that hasn't been mentioned:

The widescreen version of the current Batman DVD is edited--I believe it's the scene where the Joker is dancing with Vicki Vale towards the end of the movie, and she's kissing Joker's arm, trying to distract him from Batman.

The pan-and-scan version keeps the scene intact.

I'd buy a Special Edition as soon as it was released.

-mwb-

14. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

I, sadly, got the DVD a bit after Warner shot down the rumours earlier this year of an SE. [​IMG]
    When the new one comes out, I'll sell the old one right away. [​IMG]