Bathroom reno: Toilet discussion

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Jeff Ulmer, Mar 23, 2005.

1. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Yes, I know it's a crappy subject, but I need to replace my current toilet, and am looking for some advice.

I am on a septic system, which has been failing due to my current toilets leaking all the time. The cost of reparing them doesn't make sense, so a new unit is in order.

My question comes down to choosing between a 6L or 13L tank. While the 6L would be better at helping the septic system due to less water, I am concerned about flushing power. If I have to flush twice each time it defeats the purpose.

I am looking at getting a Crane (Cadet or Radcliffe), since I will also need to replace my tub soon as well, and I want it to match.

Thoughts?

2. MarkMel

MarkMel Screenwriter

Look at american standard's champion models. Really good flush.

"It's like a jet plane in there Jerry! A jet plane!"

3. Jeff_CusBlues

Jeff_CusBlues Supporting Actor

How about a Ferguson?

4. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

One problem I have where I live is limited access to models, so if I want something that isn't available locally I am paying through the nose for it.

I also need to have matching tub and sinks available, since they are all in close proximity. White is a really hard color to match between brands.

5. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

I forget which brands, but they do have power flush models that work well and use limited water. Go for the guy models with the elongated tanks. Better for our aim.
    Sorry to hear about your septic. That's going to cost big time to redig it. There's a company that I've heard about that's had some fair success with rejuvenating the leach fields (I'm assuming the feeder tubes going to it are in good repair) where they inject polystyrene beads under the ground under enormous pressure. This causes fracturization of the soil underneath and the beads keep things separated to allow for improved drainage.

6. Dennis*G

Dennis*G Supporting Actor

7. MarkMel

MarkMel Screenwriter

Are you in the US? If so, there are several online sites that I have delt with for all of my bathroom fixtures, from faucets to toilets and tubs, all ordered online.

8. Scott Wong

Scott Wong Second Unit

Mark:

Any links you might be able to provide of reputable online shops you've dealt with??

9. LanieParker

LanieParker Supporting Actor

May I suggest a compost toilet. I've been looking into them for a while now and I think I am going to get the Naturepost model. Many homesteaders I know or have talked to say it is the best on the market.

Bioron also sells them too for really good prices.

10. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

I am in Canada. I have been advised to get the 13L version, since with the 6 you end up flushing twice anyway. I will be getting a Crane.

The septic fixing shouldn't be all that expensive, but it is requiring a lot of excavation to figure out where everything is.

11. MarkMel

MarkMel Screenwriter