What's new

BassShakers $30/pr. @ Parts Express (1 Viewer)

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
I've had one in my shopping cart for a week. Still havn't pushed the trigger because I like to plan things well in ahead. I don't know much about the shakers, maybe someone can help.

Two questions:

If I wire the shakers to a full range signal from a car receiver that's stable at 4ohm with 22w rms, would I need to put in like a 6mh inductor to act as a low pass filter for each channel? Or will I have to buy an FMOD line filter to be put between the signal and the amplifier.

Or will it be fine if I send a full range signal to the shakers from my 2 extra channels of my receiver.

As for my HT, if I added another Y splitter for the shakers to an already existing Y-adapter for my dual subs, would it affect the sound of my subs?

TimForman

Supporting Actor
You will need something to act as a low pass filter. Sending a full range signal to a bass shaker is like having a buzzer on your butt. Many people have split their sub outs 4 ways and had success.

TimForman

Supporting Actor
I've decided to try a 50 Hz FMOD in front of the amp going to my bass shakers. I'll let you know how it works out. Just ordered it so it'll be a couple of days.

TimForman

Supporting Actor
It's working great so far. I'm powering the six shakers with an old Realistic stereo receiver that was given to me. I've no idea what the power output is. It's got a heavy transformer and I run the volume at about 1/3. I wired the shakers to get a 12 ohm nominal impedence, 3 shakers per channel. The back of the receiver lists impedence for 8 or 16. I guess I cut it down the middle. It took a little tweaking to get all the adjustments right; balancing the two channels since I'm feeding two different sets of furniture, the volume on the receiver and the line level. It sure shocks you when your watching something like Road to Perdition, dialog, dialog, then somebody fires a gun. HOLY BEJEEZERS! You about come out of your skin. Yeah, I'm lovin' it. This picture is the installation on the La-Z-boy and this one is the install on the theater seats. I placed neoprene between the shaker and the wood so it wouldn't vibrate. Actually I used mouse pads.

Chuck Bogie

Second Unit
Er... You may wanna unscrew 'em, and try 'em without the mouse pads - just get the connection between the shaker and the seat/frame nice and tight.

TimForman

Supporting Actor
Possibly. I only used the pads on the theater seats. I'm also concerned that the effect is so direct with the theater seats as it's only a few inches from the shaker to the gluteous maximus. On the sofa it's attached to the frame so the effect is radiated through the entire sofa. With the theater seats it's all in the seat itself.

Bill Fagal

Stunt Coordinator
Perhaps these are made to be mounted directly to structural members, but it occurs to me that your use of a pad amounts to a mechanical lowpass filter, which may not be an altogether bad thing, as long as the lf gets coupled sufficiently.

Bill

Justin Ward

Supporting Actor
I think I may order a pair of these. I love feeling the bass from my Tempest but I find I have to turn it up too loud to get the tactile feedback. Would one pair be enough for one medium chair?

Chuck Bogie

Second Unit
Oh yeah - Mount 'em to the frame, and mount 'em SOLID, so that they can't shake loose. I've got two pair (each pair wired in series, for 8 ohms) on a 3-person sofa.

Justin Ward

Supporting Actor
Sounds good. I think I will be ordering a pair as a birthday present to myself(birthday is tomorrow). Would a minisystem be sufficient to power these?

Joel X

Stunt Coordinator
If you wire two up in series to get 8 ohms you should be just fine with the minisystem.

BTW, has anyone taken the time to tune one of these with a Feedback Destroyer?

Justin Ward

Supporting Actor
Would I be better off with a pair of bass shakers or a single aura pro? It is only for one chair.

And splitting the signal into 4 cables won't hurt SQ? I will have two signals going to the sub stereo amp and two going to the minisystem to power the shakers.

Chuck Bogie

Second Unit
Shouldn't hurt it. I'm getting a BFD sometime in the next few weeks. It'll be used to tune a Tiny Mity and I'll try the other channel with the shakers... They've got a hump around 50hzish, and I'd like to knock that down a little...

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
I've tuned mine with my BFD. I just ran test tones and made sure the amount of shake from each freq is close to the same. No real way to measure it without a sizemagraph(sp?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks