BassList Sub-Amp Kit Update: Attn Steve Fiedler

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RichardM, Dec 1, 2000.

1. RichardM

RichardM Auditioning

Back on August 27, Steve originally posted some options for the amplifier kit being designed by some Basslist members using the Tripath digital amp cards. These were to have 250 or 500 watts/channel and be pretty inexpensive. Has anyone heard the latest on this project? I believe they were looking to wrap up design around Thanksgiving.

2. Steve Fiedler

Steve Fiedler Auditioning

Hello All,
    I visited with the product engineers a couple week ago out in California. I was favorably impressed with their lab & product plans. They have even expanded into the multiple 100w/channel modules for home theatre applications.
    On the topic of amplifier status, I plan to test a prototype over Christmas. We are looking at continuous 400 watts per channel into 4 ohm (2 channels) and 800 watts into single 8 ohm bridged (or 1500 watts into single 4 ohm bridged). I am planning on limiting the bandwidth at 10-5000Hz (1st order HP @ 8hz on input) with THD less than 0.05% up to several hundred watt level. I trust this is acceptable for a dedicated subwoofer amplifier?!? ...If this sub-amp goes well, I am working on a ~200 watt per channel class B amplifier module with THD under 0.001% next!!!
    Unfortunately the final PCB designs for the sub amp won't be finished until after the New Year. I will keep everyone posted thru an update to the forum [​IMG]
    Cheers,
    Steve
    p.s. To all people I sent earlier e-mail to, I may have spread the Apology-B or MTX virus. I apologise to anyone who this has affected. ...I am still trying to recover my old hard disk & email addresses [​IMG]

3. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Steve,
    By the time it's ready, I'll already have my new Adire or Apex Sr plate amp for my Adire Tempest 15". However, I'm very curious about the 200 Watt class B amp you mentioned. If it has great specs and full range, I'm thinking with a nice big torroid transformer, two or three would make a good multi-channel HT power amp. What do you think?

4. Steve Fiedler

Steve Fiedler Auditioning

Hello Richard,
    I am waiting on my Tempests as well, and am sure both amps would work fine. ...I'll keep the list posted on the 200 watt class B/ THD

5. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Keeping this thread alive, Steve. This might be a fairly simple "kit" and with a decent discount on torroid transformers and high-quality storage electrolytics, should be attractive.

6. Guy Chambers

Guy Chambers Auditioning

Back up.
    Any news?