1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Bass Shakers with SVS or Adire sub?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Head, Sep 23, 2001.

1. David Head

David Head Second Unit

I'm going to be moving into a townhouse in the next few months (as soon as the current owner's new home is built) and am planning a few HT upgrades. One of the upgrades will be the subwoofer. First a little background info. I'm not a "bass-head" when it comes to music. I prefer a sub to be more musical than loud when I'm listening to music. When I watch DVDs, I want to feel the bass but won't be able to turn it up too loud since I'll be in a townhouse. I plan to use a couple of bass shakers to supplement the subwoofer. The great room is about 14 x 15 with an 18 to 20 foot ceiling and it opens to the kitchen and dining area which is about 8 x 15 with a 16 to 18 foot ceiling. Here is a floorplan to help visualize the area.
    Now for the questions:
    1. I plan to use an old 100 watt pro-logic receiver to drive the bass shakers. Could I use the same receiver to drive an SVS 20-39CS? My thought was that I could hook the SVS to the main speakers and the bass shakers to the rear speakers. I assumed that I could switch the receiver from stereo to surround when enabling/disabling the bass shakers. Would this work?
    2. My other choice would be to use an Adire sub and split the signal to the sub and the receiver driving the bass shakers. If I went with this choice, would a Rava be sufficient or should I go with a Dharman because of the volume of the room?
    David

2. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

I think a Rava would be sufficent in this scenario. It doesn't go quite as deep as an SVS or a Dharman, but since you'll be in a town home, it really won't be an issue. I suggest you go with the Rava, and the bass shakers.
    ------------------
    -J.Fo
    "Why do I always get a warped one?"

3. John H

John H Second Unit

4. David Head

David Head Second Unit

Thanks for the reply Jeff. I know you were happy with the Rava, so I was hoping you'd offer your thoughts. [​IMG]
    John,
    I assume from your comments that it is NOT recommended to run the bass shakers and an SVS on the same receiver or do you have a different suggested hookup for this combo using one receiver?
    David

5. John H

John H Second Unit

I would not suggest driving either with the rear channels of the DPL receiver.
    John

6. David Head

David Head Second Unit

Thanks John. Looks like I'll be going with a powered sub and only use the receiver for the bass shakers.
    David

7. Chad Isaacs

Chad Isaacs Supporting Actor

I am kinda facing the same thing [​IMG] I am moving to an apartment next week except I already have my shakers and my svs.I plan to run both shakers(as I did in the past) from one speaker output and my svs from the other on my old dpl reciver set in stereo mode.I have not used the two together so I am curious to see how they work together.The sub will probably(if it sounds ok) be placed behind the couch somewhere so it is not on any walls that meet other apartments.I am on the ground floor(which is carpet over concrete)so if I turn it down some I should be ok.
    I have been turning my system down a little bit more each time I use it...I am getting to a point where I think it should be ok,I am about -15 db so around 60db or so...I can stand in the other room and barley hear it.There are very thin walls in my home and the apartment is brick with very thick walls so I should be good to go.
    No more u-571 dts at very loud levels..but hopfully the apartmen is only temporary
    ------------------
    My dvd collection
    http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollect...?alias=cisaacs