Bass Shakers from PE............

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Chris Brock, May 19, 2004.

1. Chris Brock

Chris Brock Second Unit

Well I just noticed that PE is having a buyout on Bass Shakers. I have some questions though..............

1. In my new house we are going to have a sectional that has 6 seating positions and also a recliner in our HT room. Would I need to have 1 Bass Shaker for each seating location?

2. Is the difference between the Bass Shaker and the Bass Shaker pro with it? Because you can get two of the original ones for just a little more than what one of the pros cost.

3. How much power would I need to supply these? Would one of the PE plate amps work for this application?

Thanks for any help!!

Chris

2. TimForman

TimForman Supporting Actor

I have a La-Z-Boy 3 seat sofa and three theater seats with one bass shaker per seat. I'm pleased with the results. They are powered by an old Realistic receiver. I have no idea what the specs on the amp are but it's more than enough. The line-in is attenuated with a 50 Hz FMOD. I don't know if you could get by with one pro model in place of two standards. I doubt it but I've been told the performance of the Pro model is better. My thought is, if this things only job is to vibrate the seat at low frequencies how special does it need to be? I suppose if you're trying to simulate an earthquake you might consider something more. I like to set the level so the viewers aren't really sure why the seat is shaking. At first they think it's my Tempest. [​IMG]

3. Colin Goddard

Colin Goddard Stunt Coordinator

I have to agree with Tim. I also like to set the shaker's level so the viewers aren't sure why the seat is shaking. But in my situation, they think it's my old SVS 16-46.

If you have a sectional couch, I would recommend 1 shaker per seat. Because with most sectional seating, the frame work of each seat is independent of the adjoining seat, except for some minor connection at the base. It then makes it difficult for 1 shaker to work well for 2 seats in a sectional. Hope that makes since[​IMG]

I've had my shakers in my sectional couch for about a year now , and I really enjoy them![​IMG]

Colin

4. expoman55

expoman55 Auditioning

Hey Guys,
    Sorry to crash your thread but hoped you could help. i am in the process of building my new HT with Front Proj, 92" screen, yamaha x863 amp and paradigm speakers including a PS-1000 subwoofer. The room is 18.5 x 17.25(w) I have 2 -3seat sofas, one on floor(carpeted concrete), 1 sofa on 7" platform carpeted on top of carpeted floor ( to minimize vibrating noises) that said I want to shake their booties([​IMG] ) and was considering 3 aura base shakers per sofa. Can I simple parallel wired them in both sofas back to a single output from an amp ?
    My Yamaha has line level sub out so I was thinking about getting another amp just for the shakers? Do they need to be wired L /R ? I have heard that I should wire the shakers in parallel across the possive speaker outs of the amp? I am all ears! Thanks in advance

5. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    I still haven't found a tactile transducer that didn't feel like a cheap carnival ride. Get enough subwoofer so that it shakes everything.

-Robert