Bass Shaker

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by richard_v, Jul 10, 2003.

1. richard_v

richard_v Stunt Coordinator

I plan on using Aura bass shakers in the riser and seats of my newly constructed HT. Any opinions on the Standard vs. the Pro models.

2. David Preston

David Preston Supporting Actor

I would like to know also I will be doing shakers soon just not sure which to get.

3. victor-eyd

victor-eyd Extra

Richard,

I've used the standard bass shakers before and they perform just fine, and are way cheaper and easier to get on sale than the premium model. Only 2 things to keep in mind: Specific bass ie under 100hz signal to get the best effect and a rigid seating area. If you feed it a full spectrum 20-20k signal, you'll be hearing things like chirping birds or even voices shake your chair. I find that this disrupts the intended effect of the shakers, which was to primarily accentuate the bass notes (like explosions or T-rex foot stomps) and nothing else. To power them, use a sub amp you can get at place like partsexpress.com and make/buy a small box to mount the amp. This allows you flexibility in adjusting the bass and intensity to your liking. If you're using a regular amp, or even an unused receiver or stereo, use inline RCA-type bass blockers to choke off the frequencies above 100hz if you're splitting off the the pre-outs but it may not be necessary if you're splitting the sub-out on the receiver. If you're mounting more than two, I'd recommend a high qualty speaker distribution unit like a niles or kustom. They can allow up to 6 pairs of speakers/shakers playing off one source and the impedance is stabilized at 4ohm. If you go lower by wiring in parallel directly to the amp you might burn the amp or worse. Running them in series is fine but if you have a lot, the wiring can get confusing after awhile.

As to rigid seating area, I have a lazy boy recliner sofa and I've had to keep the system OFFline because when the shakers are on, they're only rattling the immediate frame, and not the sub-frame which the recliners are attached to. You should consider a sofa that has a solid (ie non-reclining) frame construction so the shaking energy is distributed throughout the couch, not just in one area. Also, mount at least 2 per sofa in locations centered on each seat area . This helps elminate specificity when the shakers are active. You want that a generalized feel, not point-specific.

As to the differences between the standard and the upper unit, I don't think it will be all that noticeable since if the the power handling is higher.

Good luck

4. Chet Wilson

Chet Wilson Stunt Coordinator

Richard,

I have 4 of the standard and they work fine. You can get them at Partsexpress.com for $29/pair. I used a plate amp with approx 100hz crossover. 2 are on my riser (movie seats) and 1 on each of 2 recliners. I was surprised at what they add. My wife loves them. First thing we did was pop in Jurassic Park and go to the T-rex scene/jeeps. You really feel each step. When we have guests they jump when the shakers kick in. Having a separate amp allows us the option to turn them off. I am very happy with them for what it worth...

HT room

5. David Preston

Is there a easier way to hook them up? Looking for the easiest way possible I will be using a old JVC Dolby Surround Pro Logic receiver. I don't think it has a SUB out. Could I use this and how?

6. victor-eyd

victor-eyd Extra

------------
    Is there a easier way to hook them up? Looking for the easiest way possible I will be using a old JVC Dolby Surround Pro Logic receiver. I don't think it has a SUB out. Could I use this and how?
    ------------

If your main receiver has a sub out, and you probably have a subwoofer hooked up to that, get a y-splitter (one male/2female) at radio shack and feed the 2nd into an input on the JVC (ie CD) since subs the sub signal was mono to begin with, split it again with another y-splitter (one female/2 male) so it feeds into both left and right input. Chances are your sub out [of the main receiver] has been filtered to output freqs below 100HZ. But if it doesn't and simply sends a full 20-20k signal (check using a regular speaker), put a bass blocker (Crutchfield sells them in the car audio section) put make sure no freqs above 100hz are sent to your JVC. Set the JVC surround mode to stereo and the proper input and enjoy. An added benefit is that you can add a 2nd pair using the B-speaker output.

7. victor-eyd

victor-eyd Extra

David,

If the JVC IS the main receiver, you might be able to use B-speaker output. Three problems might develop: Prologic mode disables B-speaker output, Prologic mode sound for left and right speakers are reduced since most of the info goes into the center, so the output signal is weak, and/or you overload the system since you may/will have to wire the mains/center with the shakers in parallel. If any of the problems above don't occur, you will still have a full 20-20k signal going into the shakers. If you can solder, go to partsexpress.com and buy a pair of in-line bass blockers crossovers. These filter out everything but the bass notes when a signal is being sent a speaker driver (or in your case, the shakers)

Ultimately, you might be forced to add another powered source to carry the sound to the shakers. If this is your option, see if you can use TAPE OUT while playing in surround mode. If it works (you can test by hooking it up and attaching a regular speaker to the 2nd unit) go with what I've wriiten above.

8. David Preston

My main receiver is a Marantz 7300. Sorry I forgot to put that.

9. David Preston

Victor-eyd thanks for breaking it down so simple. It won't harm my Maranzt in any way spliting it off like that will it. I can't wait to get these. I just hope they have a good place to mount on my sofa.

10. victor-eyd

victor-eyd Extra

David,

The part you want is the partsexpress.com 266-100 low pass inline crossover for 100hz rated for 4ohm. The bass shakers are rated at 4ohm also so its one crossover per shaker. If you try to run more than one bass shaker (unless you wire them in series) per crossover you'll fry the crossover. For best look, solder them right at bass shaker's terminal clips since they will be inside the sofa anyways and out of view. Then connect to the speaker wires which lead to the Marantz.

11. David Preston

Victoe-eyd
    I believe my Marantz has a adjustable crossover in it. You said connect to the speaker wire going to the Marantz. Did you mean the Marantz or the JVC.

12. victor-eyd

victor-eyd Extra

David,

If you are going to use the method of utilizing A-B speakers whether through the Marantz or the JVC, solder the inline low pass crossovers to the bass shakers connected to stereo used. Otherwise, follow the notes to the configuration you will most likely use. Have fun