What's new

Bass Shaker Setup Questions (1 Viewer)

I have the Magnavox Dolby® Digital/DTS® Home Theater System.
It has five speakers and a 50w sub.

I was wondering what all i would need to setup bass shakers on my system?

Also could i mount them to my bed frame?

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
Since it's an active subwoofer, and there's no RCA line outs for subwoofer, it may be pretty hard to get Bass shakers to work.

You'll need a separate amplifier and a crossover or filter to power the bass shakers.

John H

Second Unit
Since it's an active subwoofer, and there's no RCA line outs for subwoofer, it may be pretty hard to get Bass shakers to work.
I checked the owners manual on Grimball's Magnavox MMX45037 system. The systems MFX450/17 receiver does have a subwoofer preout.

Grimball,

You would need a separate amplifier to drive the tactile transducers. Perferably one with a volume gain control. This will allow you to adjust the level output of the shakers independently of your subwoofer.

Split the subwoofer preout using a 1 male to 2 female Y-adaptor. One line would feed your powered subwoofer and the other would feed the amplifier driving your shakers.

John

John H

Second Unit
3. Is it worth it?
Do a search on Bass Shakers and read for yourself. There are quite a few members that are pleased with the Aura's.

I have been using tactile transducers in my system for over 5 years. My first setup was an array of 8 RBH FX80 units. (ultra high performance Aura's)

I replaced the entire array with a pair of Clark Synthesis 329F's and then upgraded to their Platinum models when they made their debut.

My current setup consists of a pair of original Buttkickers driven by a pair of bridged Crown K2's.

IMO a properly setup tactile transducer arrangement only adds to the HT enjoyment experience!

John

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Would it work to mount it under the bed frame?
Yes, I have 2 mounted to the headboard of the DPL set up in the bedroom. It's hard to compare to my HT in the Living room but they have less of an effect than on the couch. There are other variables so I cant say for sure, but you might need more than 2 for a full/queen/king size bed.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Those amps are what I am using in the bedroom.
They are so so
Looking for an older 2 channel amp in the 30 - 50 watt range

James Zos

Supporting Actor
I've been considering these too, as a cheap fix for my "upgrade-itis" disease. The bass shakers themselves seem relatively cheap, but what about the amp if you don't have an extra one lying around? I assume the amp can be kind of cheap, but how cheap IS cheap?

Jason Brent

Second Unit
I have a ?...

Could you use the rear surround channels on a 7 channel receiver? I was thinking I could set them up as zone 2 so I could have seperate volume controls, and I would probably use a passive coil or something as a crossover.

What do you guys think??

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks