Bass Shaker questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob Dawn, Sep 13, 2001.

1. Rob Dawn

Rob Dawn Stunt Coordinator

I asked these questions on another forum but never got any responses so I'll ask them here - where I should have just asked them to begin with!
    1) Where all can you buy these things online? (Besides auction sites.)
    2) Has anyone put just one unit on a couch? If so, did you still get the desired "shake"? Or are at least 2 required?
    I've got a couch and a matching oversized chair in my family room, so I was thinking of putting one on the couch and one on the chair.
    Thanks, Rob
    -----------
    My HT Equipment

2. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

One link to check out is Smarthome.com (I think that's it). They have the smaller Auras and the Pro models too.
    Two shakers do work very well but I would supposed 1 would be okay, if only a little less shake. I had a pair of the smaller ones, sold them to my son and went with 2 pair of the pros and have had a hellofa time getting them to shake like the little ones. They are definitely a new experience and worth the minor expense.
    If you get the small ones, be careful how much power you feed them and enjoy.
    ------------------

3. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

UBID.com has had Bass Shakers at their site for only $20 for 2 this past week in the afternoon. I picked up a pair the other day.
    For that price you can lose!
    JohnG
    ------------------

4. Doug_H

Doug_H Supporting Actor

I ordered a second set yesterday on ebay. $21 plus shipping.
    ------------------
    The Mischievous Rogue Strikes Again! The Humble Hanson Theater

5. Joe D

Joe D Supporting Actor

Bass Shakers are great for the high impact movies. For some movies I don't think they fit very well.
    Toy Story 2 is awesome with the shakers.
    ------------------
    Joe Dahlen
    "Take hold of the flame, you've got nothing to lose, but everything to gain."

6. KevinMcL

KevinMcL Agent

Or, you could always make some- for WAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY less than anyone charges. I'd challenge anyone out there, with 5 pairs (or less)of any brand of commercial shakers to a shake-off. My 10" monsters shake the my oven, on the lower floor of the house!!!
    Here's the link: I've kept it kinda hush until now, wanting to be one of few, but anyone desrves to try this. http://www.sdinfo.com/volume_4_2/tactile.html
    I power the two 10" subs off a 10-year old Technics stereo receiver, with only 70W/ch. It's amazing. A crude 12db/oct x-over works well. I framed them into my couch using 2x2 and 2x4's. I used $19.99 "Kraco" subs, found at a discount wholesaler, and got all the parts from Home Depot. Total cost was about $100. Beat that! (and have fun learning where all the new rattles are in you house!)

7. John H

John H Second Unit

quote: My 10" monsters shake the my oven, on the lower floor of the house!!![/quote]
    May I suggest using isolation feet on your couch from http://www.thebuttkicker.com/kinetics_info.htm
    I use a pair to activate a queen size adjustable bed.
    I apply a pair of subharmonic synthesizers on the signal. An Audio Control PCA III generates subharmonics 1 ocatve below and a Behrenger EX1200 generates signals 2 octaves below the original signal.
    A Paradigm X-30 3rd order crossover lowpassed at 35Hz is used to sum the two processors signals before feeding a pair of 1000w amplifiers.
    It seem to get the job done. [​IMG]
    John
    ------------------
    Bedroom Based Theater
    ...tryin to fix a hole in the ocean, tryin to make a dovetail joint
    [Edited last by John H on September 14, 2001 at 01:09 PM]