1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Bass Shaker Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lon_Coleman, Sep 6, 2001.

1. Lon_Coleman

Lon_Coleman Agent

I have just recieved 4 new Bass Shakers, I am now in the market for a amp to power them.
    Could someone out there please tell me a good amp to use for these? They require 25W per unit and are rated at 4ohms.
    I am not sure if I should use them in series or parallel, so I can use some help with that question too.
    There are a couple of "posts" that refer to amp on the Parts Express website, but the links do not work.
    Thank you in advance.

2. Westly T

Westly T Second Unit

I use an old Harman Kardon receiver. I use a splitter to send the sub signal into both the right and left. If you are connecting 4 shakers connect 2 in series to each channel.
    ------------------
    - Wes
    My Home Theater
    The MMG were replaced with 1.6QR's and added Marantz MA-700's. SVS is here. Ok, allot more then that has changed, I'll update my page some day...

3. JimHal

JimHal Stunt Coordinator

I second Westly's post. I went to a pawn shop and picked up an old Marantz receiver. Same hookup and it works great.
    Turn the Treble all the way down and the Bass all the way up on the second receiver.

4. Lon_Coleman

Lon_Coleman Agent

I guess I am having trouble understanding the second receiver.
    You get the signal from your "Primary" receiver and send to your "Bass Shaker" receiver ???? How do you connect the two receivers together?
    The second receiver doesn't need a sub output?

5. Rik P

Rik P Stunt Coordinator

Lon,
    I was recently in the same situation you were in. I won 4 bass shakers(2 sets) off U-bid and was looking for an amp to power them. I read on one website some guy was using a Jamo sub amplifier to power his Bass Shakers. I looked into it and found one at Speaker Page.com( www.speakerpage.com/Jamo%20MPA-100.htm ) 100 wattX2 @ 8 ohms or 50X2 @ 4 ohms. For $121.00.
    it also has adjustable crossover down to 40Hz. Best Buy also has A two channel receiver on sale KLH-200(R-3000) 100wattsX2 for $79.00 (All you'll be using it for is an amplifier, and hook to any set of inputs except for the phono)
    The way I hooked mine (Jamo MPA-100) up by using a Y-RCAcable out of my SUB output(LFE) @the receiver run one cable to the sub and one more to your Bass shaker amplifier. Turn the Subwoofer level up about 3DB on your receiver to make up for the loss in splitting.
    I am using 4 of them staggered evenly across the bottom of my couch. I have 2(one set) of them seriesed to get 8 ohms and did them same with the other set. Then hooked one set to each side(Left & Right Channel) of the Jamo Amp and that's it.
    Hope this helps.

6. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

The receiver pushing the shakers doesn't need sub out. Just plug your shakers into the speaker hookups of the send amp/receiver. As for the feed to the amp, I plugged into the outputs of my sub... most have them and into the inputs of an old receiver. At first I split my signal coming out of of my main receiver but kept getting a small pop from my sub when I powered everything up so I then went to the sub pass thru and plugged the second amp into a switched plug in on the main amp. This minimized/ eliminated the turn on pop.
    This works very well and only sends the correct signal to the shaker/receiver although when you calibrate the sub signal, you also reduce the signal to the other amp.
    Now let me add this.... some sets of the small Aura shakers have their own amps and works very well. I gave 100 bucks for this set and was so impressed that I sold them to my son and upgraded to the Pro models. As of yet, I still haven't got the pros to do as well. I have bought a 2 channel amp to power them which will be added this weekend and recalibrated.
    ------------------

7. John H

John H Second Unit