Bass Shaker: Question on Installation

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Chad Viro, Feb 11, 2004.

1. Chad Viro

Chad Viro Stunt Coordinator

Hello Everyone!

Well, I finally got my bass shakers and I am about to install them into my couch. Currently I have 4 bass shakers: 3 are going to go into my couch and the other is going to go in my 2-seat loveseat.

I opened up the bottom of my couch last night and noticed that I am probably going to have to get some wood and cut it just right so it fits on the wood rails inside my couch. Does anyone have any recommendations as to what type of wood I should use? Should I cut holes in the wood for the bass shaker?

Also, exactly how should I wire all three of these bass shakers up? In series? In parallel? Does anyone have any schematics as to how I should do this? i am not too familiar with wiring in series or parallel.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks and take care!

EDIT: Forgot a few details! I am not too experienced with electrical wiring, so if someone could 'dumb' down the explanation a bit, I would be extremely grateful. Additionally, I purchased this amp to power my bass shakers: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...D=124780&DID=7
    [​IMG]

2. Chad Viro

Any help? [​IMG]

3. David Ryan

David Ryan Extra

I ran into the same problem as you with my Wood Futon. I bought a piece of 1/4 oak, cut it to the size I needed for each one which was basically 2 inches more on both sides. Then I mounted the bass shaker onto the Wood Jackplate and mounted the Jackplate to the Futon. I have no problems whatsoever feeling the Bass when it hits.

As far as wiring goes. I wired them in a series with the same amp you purchased. I did that so the Load would be split in half between the two. THus I did not have to buy 2 amps and risk blowing them both out because they are rated at 25-35 watts max. The instructions that came with them should have had a decent diagaram if not I can try to find the one that was on the Parts express website.

Anyway I hopes this helps

Dave

4. Chad Viro

Hello David:
    Thanks for the reply! So you did not cut holes in the wood? instead, you used jackplates? What exactly are jackplates? Are they just circle pieces of wood you mount your shaker on? Did you have to make these jackplates?

Thanks again!

5. David Ryan

David Ryan Extra

What I call a Jackplate is just a Rectangular piece of wood cut to the length of the ends of the Futon beams. I then mounted the shaker onto the plate and mounted the whole package onto the wood beams. So basically all I needed was a 2 foot piece of oak planking and a table saw (I need 2, 10 inch pieces). I am sure a place like home depot could even cut it for you. Just make sure you measure to each end of the beam, and you mount the shaker as close to touching the couch as possible. Even if it means cutting a piece of wood to fit in-between the two beams and screwing it in from the side. It may seem complicated but just look at the bottom of your couch and, with a ruler start measuring an area where you want the shaker and cut a piece of wood to fit, and mount the shaker on the wood. Then mount the wood to the beams or in-between the beams whatever is easier for you.

Dave

6. Chad Viro

David, great info thanks! I am going to do this today when I find time. Hopefully the people at lowe's can cut the wood cause I dont have any sawing tools, etc.

Would there be any benefit in cutting holes in the wood so that the bass shakers have room to expand through the hole?

7. Brian Johnson

Brian Johnson Supporting Actor

I've sent you an email Chad with a few pictures. I would post them online but my picture host is down.
    Like I said, I only have 2 wired together to a single monoblock amp. I have no idea how to add more than that.
    As you can see by the pics I just bolted a 4 foot section of a narrow piece of wood to the couch frame. Just woodscrewed the shakers to the board & ran the wires.
    Let us know how it goes.......

Off/on topic: For apartment dwellers, I HIGHLY recommend getting shakers. They are what I run 75% of the time. My neighbors tend to like these better than my SVS for some reason... ??

8. Chad Viro

Hi Brian:
    Ugh, could you send them again! I forgot to update my email address (I moved and had to change internet providers)!

My email address should now be: baptizer@2darkpark.com

thanks again!

9. Brian Johnson

Brian Johnson Supporting Actor

Done.

I think the board I used was about 1 inch thick. I took a shaker with me to the store and got a piece wide enough to mount it on. I think it was only a few dollars for the wood.
    Also, I don't think you need to cut any holes in the board. Just make sure the shakers are secured.