What's new

Bass Shaker Mods (1 Viewer)

Matt^Brown

Supporting Actor
I have read many threads on this site about bass shakers. One thread from over a year ago talked about modding them so they will reach a lower sound level. I sent a message to one of the guys talking about this mod but he has not been able to find his old information. Does anyone have any information on this mod.

Matt^Brown

Supporting Actor
Tim the mods I am talking about are for the Aura Bass Shakers.

Jim Peitersen sent the following mods to me. He also sent me three pictures showing the steps after they were completed. I do not know how to post pictures but if you would like to see them or someone can host them I will gladly email them to you.

I would like to personally thank Jim for taking the time to go back and find this information for me.

The mods are fairly simple, if you are handy with Dremel/Rotozips and epoxy.

I will lay out the process for you at the end of this message. Don't worry about being "perfect" with these mods, we aren't building a piano and nobody can see the changes from the outside of the shaker. I've done about a dozen of them, and was less "anal retentive" with each one (and they all sound the same.) You can also deviate from my suggestions to suit your needs, I will
outline what worked for me. Here we go:

1. Remove the four bolts from the top of the shaker.

2. Remove the bottom plate.

3. The shaker will look like photo number 1.

4. Get some tissue paper/paper towel material, push down on the "bolt" in the middle of the shaker (the voicecoil will go down), stuff the paper under the phenolic (plastic) spider around the edge of the voicecoil (this keeps shavings from going down into the gap).

5. Use a Dremel tool, or my favorite a Rotozip tool with a carbide tile bit, to slowly remove some of the material of the "spider" (I have found that removing roughly half of the thickness works well.) Gently blow or vacuum
the shavings out and take out the paper.

6. Your shaker should look like photo 2.

7. Get some lead fishing weights or lead shot and pound it flat with a hammer (you don't want it to stick up above the spider). Use some strong two-part epoxy to glue the weights to the top of the "driver" between the spider legs.

8. Use roughly 1-2 grams of weight to start, then adjust to your liking. You will know if you have too much, the voicecoil will bottom quite easily when too heavy.

9.. They should look like photo 3.

10.. Reattach the bottom plate and screw the bolts in (add some Loctite to the threads to stop them from loosening over time.

11.. Hook them up and enjoy

SteveLeach

Stunt Coordinator
I'd like to see the pic's. Maybe you could post them in the HT gallery, then they'd be available to all.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
Me too. Just have been thinking of adding some shakers to the couch... Just don't know which ones or where to start..
Mike

Alan M

Second Unit
I've been using pro shakers for a while now,and would be interested in seeing pictures of this mod.

Matt^Brown

Supporting Actor
Sorry for the late reply I haven't been on this site in a few days.

I still have these pictures in the email that I received from Jim back in April. As I stated above several months ago I have no idea how to load a picture onto this site or to host a picture. I can however send someone the email if they know how to host the pictures.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks