Bass Shaker connection woes

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Daman, Aug 17, 2004.

1. Daman

Daman Second Unit

I got my Aura Pros and a Subwoofer Amplifier from Parts Express today, i bought 2 y adapters to connect via Subwoofer and some speaker cables to connect that shakers, so basically i took a Y adapter from subwoofer preout - one going to subwoofer and another going to another y adapter, now the output from second y output is connected to the new amplifier line in's. I connected all the Bass Shakers through speaker wires to Speaker level outs. When i ran the setup no response, after fiddling a lot of time i found that if the amplifier gets Line level in it outputs only in Line Level outs and vice versa for speaker level ins and outs. Now how do i connect the left and right Line outs to the speaker wires?? Ill really appreciate any help and suggestions..
    Regards
    Daman

2. Daman

Daman Second Unit

oops got posted twice by mistake, can one of the moderators remove one post.. sorry for the trouble!!

3. Ned

Ned Supporting Actor

That sounds wrong. The amplified output should always be via speaker type outputs. If it did output via the line level (rca) outputs, what would you plug that into? Maybe the amp is broken?

4. DavidLW

DavidLW Stunt Coordinator

Just taking a stab at it. Not seeing what your sub amp looks like and your description of the problem is a little confusing.

It sounds like your sub amp has a built in preamp. If thats the case you need to jumper the line out (preamp section) to the speaker in (amp section). You can do this with a pair of RCA interconnect. Most of the time there's a u-shape piece of metal that is used as a jumper. I'm assuming by your descrition that your speaker inputs are RCA plugs and your speaker outs are normal speaker terminals taking bare wire.

Or you can go directly to the speaker in from your second y-connecter.
    with this route you lose the use of any volume control on your sub amp. Your shakers with be controled by you receiver volume setting. Which happens to also control your subwoofer.

5. Daman

Daman Second Unit

Thanks for your inputs guys, heres a few screen shots will will help you understand how its connected
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have the Amplifier manual in front of me and heres what it says :

Inputs/Outputs:

Line In : These are line level RCA Inputs. Use to connect Pre out or preamplifier outputs directly to subwoofer amplifiers internal cross over. These inputs are summed to mono. If pre amp outputs are not available then use High Level inputs

Line Out : This line level RCA output provides full range(20-20KHz) output and is used to connect "daisy chain" the line level signal to other amplifiers. NOTE: LINE OUT IS ONLY ACTIVE WHEN A SIGNAL IS PRESENT AT LINE-IN INPUT

High-Level In : Speaker Level input. Input connects directly to reciever via speaker cables.

High Level Out: Speaker Level output. Used to connect satellite speakers. NOTE: SIGNAL ONLY PRESENT WHEN HI-LEVEL INPUT IS USED. Features 6dB high pass circuit(125 Hz @ 8ohm)

Now im using line level inputs as you can see in the pictures and high level outputs, going by what the amp says im not reciving signal in High level outs. What should i do?? Please help me out!!

6. Charlie C

Charlie C Stunt Coordinator

is this it?

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...92&ctab=4#Tabs

you need to use the SPEAKER WIRES coming out of the BACK of the amp, NOT the high level outs.

how many amps do you have for the shakers?

if you only have one (1) amp, take an RCA from pre-out on receiver to Left RCA line in on amp. then hook speaker wires from back of amp to shakers and wire them accordingly.

hope this is the fix.

CC

7. Daman

Daman Second Unit

THanks Charlie, i had posted the same query on AVS as well and got the same reply as you have mentioned. Ill use the speaker wire coming from the back of the amp, i have 4 shakers so ill be wiring them 2 in series each and then in parallel which would yeild a load of 4 ohms. Thanks for all the help [​IMG]

8. Charlie C

you can send me those nice unused 'y' splitters in return [​IMG]

9. Daman

Daman Second Unit

[​IMG] hehehehe that are going back to Ratshack today evening!!

10. Charlie C

well enjoy your new shakers, glad I could help

11. Daman

Daman Second Unit

[​IMG] will do that and update you by tomorrow on the experience, thanks for all the help

12. Will d s

Will d s Stunt Coordinator

How were the shakers?

13. Daman

Daman Second Unit

Awesome Will, i set them up the same day and now they are shaking the recliner loveseat like crazy, i had initially setup the amp volume high but found it too annoying during quieter scenes so turned it down, the volume is now at about 30% or so and the shakers only kick in during heavy bass scenes which i like the best. A couple of friends had come over yesterday and were really perplexed when i put in Metallica DVDA and turned it up... hehehe [​IMG]