Bass shaker amplification

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael P, Jul 18, 2001.

1. Michael P

Michael P Agent

I just bought a set of bass shakers from Ubid, but they do not come with an amplifier. What is the cheapest/best way to make these puppies rock the house? ;-) Also, will 1 amp drive both, or do I need two?
    Thanks

2. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

Just about anything will drive the bass shakers.
    I have the ones that came with amps and they're 25 watts each which is more than enough to shake the couch. Also, I ran my signal to the BS by splitting my lfe signal so my receiver determines what goes to them. Hooking them to a headphone output seems to send too much signal to the BS and the built in filter doesn't limit the response very well.
    Bass shakers are a pretty good bang for the buck as I have only had mine a week or so. We regularly demo our systems among a group of friends around here and there were some pretty surprised folks when the couch started shaking.
    ------------------

3. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

1 amp would do but if ur not using a car amp which has 4 ohm output ( is that right guys?), u should put the shakers in series rather than in parallel to make them 8 ohms.
    A popular stereo receiver used to power them has been the KLH receiver from BestBuy. They can be had for just $90 and it does the job well.
    ------------------
    Eric Samonte
    Dito sa Pilipinas..may Hom Tiyeter rin kami!

4. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

I suggest an inexpensive subwoofer plate amplifier that has the crossover built right into it so you can customize the point where they start to rumble. The amps start around $100 and go up from there depending on how much power you want. I am currently using one that puts out 200 watts and is powering 4 of the Aura Pros.
    ------------------AOL Instant Messenger Name: kyler70

5. JimHal

JimHal Stunt Coordinator

I went to a Pawn shop and found an old Marantz receiver for $35 US. It works great. I slit the sub output of my reciever and input it into the CD jacks of the old receiver.
    I have four shakers hooked up to this on a couch and loveseat. Two are smaller and the addition of this reciever enabled me to adjust to volume for each set.