Bass problems with Reciever

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Derek Duncan, May 2, 2002.

1. Derek Duncan

Derek Duncan Stunt Coordinator

This may seem like a stupid question, but I am no reciever expert. I don't have any set up discs, I just go by the instructions. Well I had a Sony reciever, it had a problem, pretty much the bass picked up everything, not just explosions, but even voices would rattle the woofer. There was also a constant humming from the woofer, even in silence. Well I upgraded to a Kenwood. The humming is gone, but it still picks up everything, the bass is good, but should a door slamming sound like an explosion, and I don't think it is the volume, because by the time I have it low enough not to pick it up, the rest of the bass is too low. By the way, my woofer is an Aiawa. The simple thing I want to know is, on a movie, does your woofer rattle when someone speaks in a low voice, I was watching West Side Story, and the bass is thumping with every word the characters say.

Derek

2. Bob Sheen

Bob Sheen Stunt Coordinator

Hi Derek,

I'm no expert, but i know that what you're describing shouldn't happen. That would drive me nuts.

How is your system/speakers hooked up ? Are you using the LFE channel for your sub ?

Have you set your system up according to the manual that came with your receiver ?

And does this happen with "all" movies, or just certain movies.

Bob

3. Derek Duncan

Derek Duncan Stunt Coordinator

I have it set up just like the manual says, with the front surrounds set to small, and it doesn't do this with all movies, mainly very quiet films, big action films that use a lot of bass don't seem to have a problem.

Derek

4. Charles Gurganus

Charles Gurganus Supporting Actor

Some of Sony's DSP modes can make certain movies, mostly older films, sound VERY wrong. Also, have you calibrated your setup?