bass problems, in a car?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Shawn Solar, Jan 28, 2002.

1. Shawn Solar

Shawn Solar Supporting Actor

I am having some problems with bass in my car. I seem to lose bass with the doors closed and windows up. but when the passenger side door is open it seems to create more bass. I actaully measured this on my spl metre. theres about a 2-3db difference. If it is caused by bass being canceled out, would moving the sub to the other side of the car really help? I am only asking cause everthing is screwed down and carpeted so moving it would be some work.

2. Jon Torres

Jon Torres Second Unit

i think i remember hearing that it's kind of like acting as a port where all doors closed windows up is like a sealed box, then opening the door would be like a port.

3. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    I had the exact same problem with my Honda Accord. If I close my trunk the output drops significantly. When I pop the trunk open slightly the output increases. I never did find out what caused it. An Autosound shop said that honda's make noise-canceling trunks but I think they were just feeding me a story. I don't beleive them.

BTW, I usually have the opposite occur when I hear others' cars. The bass increases when the trunk gets closed and sealed. I don't know whats with my car. Do you have a honda too?

4. MichaelGomez

MichaelGomez Stunt Coordinator

This happens because your car cabin acts as a secondary enclosure. That is why they now have outlaw compititions on the carsound circuits. Basically it allows you to put the mic anywhere in your car and adjust windows and doors how you like it. Unfortunately there is nothing that can be done. Assuming that you went through the trouble to check speaker placement and maybe an RTA. If you want some really good knowledgeable information hop over to www.carsound.com I have learned a lot of stuff from these people. It is like this forum only instead of home audio it is car audio.

5. George Martin

George Martin Stunt Coordinator

Well Shawn since everthing is screwed down it will be hard for you to try this but for the rest of you. Move your enclosure closer to the rear of the trunk or even try facing the sub box the oppisite direction. The idea is to get the sound wave to arrive at your listen position at the loudest point.

6. Shawn Solar

Wow, and I thought I was the only one with this problem. I have my sub on the drivers side. Its not a Honda, but, It is a Toyota(camry). The sub is in a sealed enclosure. And is pretty much sealed from the trunk. I had a different sub in a ported enclosure before, and don't recall having this problem.

7. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Shawn,

Is the driver facing into the back seat or towards the back of the trunk? I've found that facing the driver towards the back of the trunk (so you see the driver when you open the trunk) usually gives better response.

Brian

8. Bob Ahlberg

Bob Ahlberg Agent

Hi...
    Having competed for years in car audio, I can tell you that it is perfectly normal for the bass to increase with an open window or door. You may be able to pick up a few db by pointing your sub toward the rear of the trunk but you will still pick up more with the window open. It has to do with pressure changes over the face of the spl meter and at higher spl's the pressurized air can seek an outlet that way. Hope that helps.
    To the guy with the honda...Honda's are well known in car audio circles as the "black hole" for bass. Probably the best bass in a honda would be to face the subs forward and fold the rear seat backs down.
    Have fun.
    Bob [​IMG]

9. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    I have the honda and have the sealed enclosure facing the rear of the trunk. I get more output with th trunk open but I feel that the bass is sloppy when I do this. It is much tighter and smoother with everything sealed off. I drop a few dB but that's worth it IMO. Besides my Audiobahn 12" in the sealed box can hit well into the high 120's at about 30Hz running with everything sealed off anyway. Way more than what I need. I'm happy, even though my car has the problem. However I don't see it as a problem but I see it as a solution to clean up the bass a little. It actually does sound very good for a car. Now getting that kind of woofage in my house is another story.

10. MichaelGomez

MichaelGomez Stunt Coordinator

11. Shawn Solar

So it seems I'm stuck with it, oh well, summers just 5 months away. I guess I'll wait till then. Kinda cold to drive with the windows down now. The sub faces forward, toward the driver seat. I ride with the rear seats down.Its a rockford he12 single voice coil into 4 ohms. I thought if I changed it to a ported enclosure, it may give a few more db, but it didn't model well in unibox for such an enclosure. Seemed to be a huge peak at the box tuning.