Bass problem in the end of the Fight Club DVD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JohnS, Aug 29, 2001.

1. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    at the end of the DVD of Fight Club, there seems to be heavy bass in the explosions scene. My sub seems to give too much bass.
    Every other movie sounds fine. It just seems like the end of this movie gives off way too much bass.
    Somebody please chime in with thier opinion, I'm going crazy!
    ------------------

2. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

mmm, lots of lovely bass on that. I didn't find it excessive, its just that Spoiler:they are blowing up an awful lot of stuff there
    And besides, I didn't think there was any more bass there than during either the opening of Toy Story 2 or some of the scenes on the DTS Haunting disc. What comparisons are you making when you've not heard anything that big? U-571's DTS track is notoriously over the top; does it sound worse than that to you?

3. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    Ian,
    you know when you have your sub turned up a little too high(wrong setting) it gives off very disturbing noise from your sub, it sounds a little like that.
    AND my sub is correctly set and sounds fine with other movies.
    Is it that Fight Club scene at the end gives off that kind of noise from all those explosions?? Also the rest of the movie sounds great with the sub.
    ------------------
    [Edited last by JohnS on August 29, 2001 at 05:29 PM]

4. Jeff

Jeff Supporting Actor

The airplane collision scene is way too loud on my setup, and I'm not talking about the sub. I always have to turn down the volume before it comes up. I never have to touch the volume with any other scene with Fight Club or any other movie for that matter.
    Jeff

5. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

6. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

Yeah, the aircrash scene is easily the loudest scene in the film. I always have to turn it down.
    I'd really like a special option on the DVD to bring up dialogue actually as sometimes I don't want to worry about cool sounds on my films.

7. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

Its called midnight mode on my amp Theo, you may have some sort of dynamic compression mode on yours as well. This does sound like its a sub bottoming out problem; it probably just needs a little toning down of the volume to avoid.

8. Jody C Robins

Jody C Robins Stunt Coordinator

John
    IF you are talking about the gunshot, there is a deliberate high pitch tone there to add to the "shock". So if this is your problem, it's not a problem, just part of the movie.

9. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden

10. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

The explosions at the end of Fight Club are very deep and very loud... and some subwoofers just aren't up to the task of reproducing that, causing flapping and port chuffing. What kinda' sub are we talkin' about here?
    Some other possibilities:
    1. Your sub's amp may be EQ'd to raise that particular frequency range.
    2. You may have a phase problem (which is what I suspect). If the phase of your sub is set incorrectly, it will sound overly boomy with deep bass or too quiet near your crossover frequency (because of cancellation between your sub and speakers). You need AVIA or VE to check the phase of your sub. If phase is set incorrectly, then your sub level may be set too high to compensate for the cancellation, and this can cause the effect you're describing.
    3. The placement of your subwoofer may be accentuating those particular frequencies. Try moving it and see if it helps.
    4. You may have a room peak in that particular frequency range that is more apparent with that scene, or a null in other frequency ranges. Not much you can do about that other than EQ'ing.
    5. Your receiver may have a separate level adjustment from the sub level specifically for LFE, and that could be set too high. Some receivers have a 0/+10 LFE pad setting that could be a problem (although +10 is the norm for DD/DTS processing, so I doubt that's the problem).
    6. I thought deep bass was distorting really bad with my sub... and it turned out that a china cabinet on the other side of the room was vibrating just enough to make it sound like distortion. I stuck little pieces of rubber between the glass and the frame, and it made a big difference.
    7. I know this sounds silly... but your sub may be moving at those frequencies, making it sound muddy and overdriven. My Polk PSW350 did this a bit, so I bought two patio stones and placed the big one underneath and a smaller one on top (with a towel in between to protect the exterior). I can't even describe how much tighter the bass is.
    Hope something I said helps! [​IMG]

11. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

I just got it a few days ago and while there isn't any problems with the movie (that I could find) there were some massive picture distortion and sound problems in some of the extras like the main title theme in the visual effects section.

12. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer