1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Bass Peak?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Kevinkall, Oct 16, 2003.

1. Kevinkall

Kevinkall Second Unit

My receiver(Kenwood 6070) has a BASS PEAK setting on it. You can adjust it from -30(default) to 0 and you can also turn it off. The manual does nothing to explain what this setting does. Can someone PLEASE explain to me what this setting is for and how I should set it. I'm currently using the Sony WAM-40 sub(modded). Any help would be greatly appericated!

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

My Pioneer vsx-45tx has this too.

Basically it sets an absolute upper limit for bass output, regardless of what's encoded on the disc or the volume setting you choose. It's purpose is to act as a sort of "safety device" to keep you from inadvertently overdriving your sub.

Set it to the highest level you can without bottoming out your sub or shaking stuff off the walls.

This is not the same thing as an LFE level or subwoofer level adjustment, it's more like a safety valve on an old steam engine.

Do all your normal calibration first, then do the bass peak level adjustment last. Turn your volume up to reference level and crank up bass peak until the sub bottoms out or stuff falls off the wall, then back off until it just doesn't.

3. Kevinkall

Kevinkall Second Unit

Thanks for the reply!

Since I have went thru and setup my sub with an SPL meter, should I just turn the BASS PEAK setting off or should I go thru again and set it up?

4. Aaron Gilbert

Aaron Gilbert Second Unit

I have this on my new Kenwood VR-5090, too. I really like it.

The Bass Peak Level Manager is not related to the relative level of your subwoofer to the other channels. Each is set completely independently. The only thing that the bass peak setting does is restrict the maximum signal level allowed to be passing to the subwoofer output, just as Steve said.

Also be aware that you cannot set the relative level of your subwoofer reliably or accuratly with a sound level meter, due to room resonances and standing waves, as well as irregular frequency response of the meter itself at lower frequencies. My receiver's manual makes note of this, and recommends setting the relative subwoofer level by ear with your favorite program material. I couldn't agree more.

Enjoy!

Aaron Gilbert