What's new

Bass peak level limiter (1 Viewer)

Rick Radford

Supporting Actor
I tagged this on another thread and got no response... so I thought I'd try my luck as a new thread.
wink.gif

Anyone here have an AVR with a Bass Peak Level Limiter? My Onkyo 989 has this feature.
The instructions say to raise the volume to the point where the sound becomes distorted and then back it off until it returns to normal. This becomes the setting for the limiter.
When I try this, I have so much stuff rattling that I can't tell if there's any distortion or not! I once hit the excursion limits on the sub trying to do this.. so have been leery of taking it very far.
I guess Onkyo didn't plan on anyone using a SVS with their receivers!
How do you guys set this up?
------------------
--RR

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Rick,
the SVs and bass limiters are a tough mix,
We're constantly tweaking our drivers to maintain linearity up to extreme excursions. So...the subs will tend to sound great...right up to the point where you hear the driver make a *clack* noise as it exceeds it's linear operating range.
what happens if you just disengage the limiter completely....have you been overdriving the SV a lot?(which model do you have and how large is your room?)
TV

Guy Kuo

Supporting Actor
If room rattles are confusing you as you adjust the limiter setting, try getting right up next to the sub. You should have enough directional hearing to tell when the clacking noise is coming from the sub rather than other places/objects in the room. My own SVS setup makes the joists rattle before it finally bottoms out.

HankM

Second Unit
Rick,
I have a Denon 5700 which has a peak limiter. I did just what you did and I could not tell anything. I set the limiter to the off position.
------------------

Rick Radford

Supporting Actor
Sorry it's taken me so long to get back. This forum has been down.
Tom, I have a 20-39cs/Samson 700 in a 11.5 x 12 x 8 room with HW floors. The house is built on a foundation and not a slab.
The sub is in the left front corner in a 39" wide alcove along with my left main tower. It's tight in there. I picked up 6 dB moving it to the LF corner from the RF corner (another 39" wide alcove). The RF corner faces a wall 12' away while the LF corner faces a 4' wide opening into another room.
I'm sure I haven't been overdriving the sub. I calibrated with Avia at 75dB/-10dB MV and typically listen in the -10 to -20 dB MV range... so -10 to -20 dB below ref. I set the sub about 2 dB hot on the Ratshack meter.
I could disengage the limiter.. but thought it might be nice to have some protection just in case.
Guy Kuo.. good suggestion. I think I'll try to get up close as you suggest.
Hank.. I plan on getting TPM when it comes out on 10/16. Seems I read somewhere that someone already bottomed out their twin CS-Ultras on this DVD.
wink.gif

------------------
--RR
[Edited last by Rick Radford on October 10, 2001 at 10:05 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks