1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Bass Mgmt: AVR-520 & Def Tech BP-2006TL

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John_VI, Apr 4, 2002.

1. John_VI

John_VI Second Unit

I'm in the process setting up my new AVR-520 and Def Tech speakers and would like to ask for opinions on bass management.

Option #1: Def Tech recommended that I set the front speakers to LARGE and connect them to the receiver using only the speaker-level inputs, thereby letting the x-over in the speakers do the bass mgmt for the fronts. I would also connect the sub to the LFE output and set the sub to YES. That's one way.

Option #2: The 2006's only have one set of full-range binding posts, so bi-wiring is not an option. However, I could set the front speakers to SMALL, and then split the LFE signal three ways, feeding two of them into the 2006's and the third into the sub.

What say you all? Is there a decided advantage of one approach over another? Is there a third (or fourth) option that I haven't considered?

2. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

I hate to go against DefTechs advice but I would LFE connect only, get the sub crossover out of the way and run them as Large using the H/K's 40Hz or 60Hz setting, whichever sounds better.

3. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

...and I would disagree with the above post and go with DefTech's advise. That's how I run my BP2000tl's and I prefer it that way. My ears believe the speaker designers know more about their product than the receiver/preamp makers.

That said, you would be best served to try it both ways and decide for youself. Of course, I'd expect you to post here with your results.

4. John_VI

John_VI Second Unit

Well gee folks, thanks for that definitive (no pun intended) advice! LOL! I will play around with it and let you all know.