Bass Management

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ryan Leemhuis, Nov 21, 2002.

1. Ryan Leemhuis

Ryan Leemhuis Second Unit

What is bass management and how does it help on a DVD player? Am I correct when I say the RP-82 has this?

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Short Answer: Bass Management is something your receiver does to NOT send low-frequency sounds to small speakers. Instead, it routes any low-frequency sound to some other speaker, or the external subwoofer.

We are talking about any low frequency sound to one of the 5 speakers. AND the ".1" channel as well.

Since most DVD players cannot drive speakers directly, I doubt the RP-82 DVD player has this.

3. Jeff Bamberger

Jeff Bamberger Second Unit

I think conventional wisdom is that even if a DVD player had bass management, it is best to leave that to your receiver, or an outboard BM component if you have one.

In most cases, one would be best at setting their speakers to "small". There are not (again conventional wisdom that I seem to read herein) too many speakers that are truly full range and worthy of being set to "large".

I set all of my speakers to small, and route all bass below 80 or 90Khz (I forget which, but that is my receiver's cross over point) to my subwoofer. I then bypass the crossover on my sub to make sure it plays everything that it is sent.