bass management??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DanielM, Jan 16, 2003.

1. DanielM

DanielM Stunt Coordinator

OK I am confused...I have an rp82 and an sa-he 200 hooked up proper analog for dvd-a and optical for dts /dd it works fine no bass management problem I checked the audio output it was 96/24 6ch ..speakers are klipsch rb5/rc3 front/center..rear are lx5 pro..sub is sw15..with my one dvd-a "American beauty" I have plenty of bass all "SEEMS" fine what is the usual problem why the need for an icbm??

2. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

American Beauty DVD-A??????

Maybe I am missing something here but isn't that a DVD-V you knwo the movie with Kevin Spacey. I dont know maybe it is the name of a music disc i never heard of but if it is indeed the movie then that is why your bass seems fine. DVD-A and DVD-V are completly different. Your receiver will apply bass management to the DD or DTS tracks from a dvd-V however it cannot do this for DVD-A hence the need for a player which has Bass management, or an ICBM or a full set of full range speakers.

I know when i listen to my metallica black album on DVD-A without an ICBM using the Rp-91 the sound sucks compared to the cd, sure it has a lot of advantages over the cd, but the lack of BM causes it to sound hollow and there is no changing that.

3. DanielM

nope not the movie....The Grateful Dead

4. TrevorST

TrevorST Stunt Coordinator

I just picked up an Panasonic RP72 and although the bass management is not great, it does have it. You can set the front and rear speakers to small to send the bass through the sub. The crossover is 100hz which although not ideal works OK and the sound is incredible.

5. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

Daniel, you can't judge on one DVD-A alone. The problem could be that the bass is being sent to speakers other than the subs, and you're losing it. You may not realize it, but there could be more there that you're not hearing. If you haven't heard this album on a system with bass management or full range speakers in all channels, you won't know what its supposed to sound like. Also, you can't compare American Beauty to the original album because it was completely remixed. American Beauty has a .1 track on most, if not all, songs. And I'm pretty happy with the sound on my system without bass management. This could be a case where all the low end stuff is sent to the .1 track, making bass management unneccessary. However I've seen some DVD-A discs without a .1 track on all songs, and my speakers could be lopping off the bottom end on those.

6. DanielM

7. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

Daniel, there's no universal labeling system, so its just hit and miss. Some of my discs have both 5.0 and 5.1 tracks, it varies between songs. I'd have to put in each of my disc (granted I only have 4 or 5) and go through each track and see what the panasonic displays for them. I believe its also possible to mix them for 3 or 4 channels also, its up to the engineer as to which ones he wants to use. Also, just because there is a .1 track doesn't mean all bass is routed to it. This is why bass management is so important to have in the player or the receiver or you need an ICBM.