Bass Management Yam1400/2400

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Jeff O., Mar 1, 2004.

1. Jeff O.

Jeff O. Stunt Coordinator

I have a couple of questions for anyone who has one of these receiveres (Yamaha 1400 or 2400) and is using a 7.1 setup. How many separate crossover points can you select? For instance, in a 7.1 system do they offer a separate crossover frequency selection for the rear back surrounds (i.e., I assume there are at least 3 different crossover settings you can choose: FrontR/L, Center, and RearR/L; but can you also select a separate crossover for the other set of rear surrounds)?

My second question is about using them as a pre/pro. Do the crossover/YPAO settings apply to the pre-outs?

Thanks for any help-Jeff

2. MuneebM

MuneebM Supporting Actor

crossover: only a single universal crossover that is applied to all the speakers. if you want a particular speaker to get the full range just set it to "large".

3. Jeff O.

Jeff O. Stunt Coordinator

Thanks MuneebM. So you can't set a different crossover for your mains or surrounds, all speakers set as small will use the same crossover. That is surprising, not very versatile.

4. MuneebM

MuneebM Supporting Actor

Yes, that's right. It actually works out much better in my opinion. This was a concern I had before buying this receiver and I was very keen about the multiple crossovers that the H/K receivers offer, but another member on this forum told me setting different crossovers for each set of speakers can have quite adverse effects, mainly bass cancellation issues and possibly echo. I have set my front towers to "LARGE", all other speakers to "SMALL", and my crossover to 80 Hz. Sounds amazing in my opinion and I have absolutely no doubts about the receiver since I've gotten it.