Bass Management - Should I be upgrading??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ranga, Mar 27, 2002.

1. Ranga

Ranga Stunt Coordinator

Equipment
    ----------
    Newcastle DVD player with on-board DD/DTS decoder
    ART DIO External DAC
    Myryad T-50 pre/pro with bass mgmt only for stereo sources.
    BFD 1124.
    Myryad T-70 5-ch amp
    SVS 25-31PC.
    Here is my current setup (without the BFD)
    [​IMG]
    My objective is to be able to adjust the crossover for both HT and Stereo.
    I use the DVD player's internal DD/DTS decoder and bass mgmt for HT. My pre/pro does not have any decoder, but has bass mgmt (80Hz/120Hz/Bypass) only for the 2-ch inputs. The bass mgmt on the pre/pro is bypassed when I use it's 5.1 inputs.
    The DVD player's crossover is fixed at 100Hz when I set the speakers to SMALL. Also, the DVD player cannot redirect LFE to my fronts if I wish to use the crossover on the SVS.
    What would be the most effective upgrade (in terms of cost + function)?
    Ranga

2. Ranga

Ranga Stunt Coordinator

38 views and no suggestions [​IMG] ??
    Come on people...
    I wasn't sure which forum to post this in as it could be related to A/V sources/receivers/speakers.

3. Greg Johnson

Greg Johnson Stunt Coordinator

I would get an Outlaw ICBM if I were you. 249 dollars plus shipping.

4. Ranga

Ranga Stunt Coordinator

I was just thinking if I set the speakers to LARGE and the sub to LFE on the DVD player, I could still use the subwoofer's crossover and bypass the DVD player's internal crossover.

Would this work?

5. Ranga

Ranga Stunt Coordinator

I was thinking about the ICBM but then I would still have to go through the DVD player's bass mgmt because I am using it's DD/DTS decoder. My pre/pro does not have any decoder.

6. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Why not set all your speakers to LARGE via your DVD player's decoder/bass management, and then use the ICBM's bass management to really manage the bass?

7. Ranga

Ranga Stunt Coordinator

Scott
    That's certainly one option that I am considering. The problem with that is -
    1. I cannot set the sub to NONE, so the LFE goes to the sub out. I can connect the sub-out to the sub-in of the pre-amp. But I am not sure if the sub-out from the pre-amp will continue to carry the LFE signal.
    2. I have an external DAC feeding into the pre-amp's CD input and I am using more expensive cables for the fronts from the pre/pro to the amp. If I connect the ICBM between the pre/pro and the amp (that's probably the best connection in my case), I will have to add another set of these cables (at $150/pair). That will be a $500 investment (still cheaper than a new Outlaw 950 I suppose [​IMG])
    At this point, I may stick with using the 100Hz crossover on the DVD player for HT, and the 80Hz crossover on the pre/pro for stereo (through the DAC) with two different EQ settings on the BFD.
    With the 100Hz on music, I can localize the sub while it is not an issue with HT. I will probably save up for a new universal DVD player when the standards evolve.