What's new

Bass Management - Should I be upgrading?? (1 Viewer)

Ranga

Stunt Coordinator
Equipment
----------
Newcastle DVD player with on-board DD/DTS decoder
ART DIO External DAC
Myryad T-50 pre/pro with bass mgmt only for stereo sources.
BFD 1124.
Myryad T-70 5-ch amp
SVS 25-31PC.
Here is my current setup (without the BFD)
Link Removed
My objective is to be able to adjust the crossover for both HT and Stereo.
I use the DVD player's internal DD/DTS decoder and bass mgmt for HT. My pre/pro does not have any decoder, but has bass mgmt (80Hz/120Hz/Bypass) only for the 2-ch inputs. The bass mgmt on the pre/pro is bypassed when I use it's 5.1 inputs.
The DVD player's crossover is fixed at 100Hz when I set the speakers to SMALL. Also, the DVD player cannot redirect LFE to my fronts if I wish to use the crossover on the SVS.
What would be the most effective upgrade (in terms of cost + function)?
Ranga

Ranga

Stunt Coordinator
38 views and no suggestions :frowning: ??
Come on people...
I wasn't sure which forum to post this in as it could be related to A/V sources/receivers/speakers.

Ranga

Stunt Coordinator
I was just thinking if I set the speakers to LARGE and the sub to LFE on the DVD player, I could still use the subwoofer's crossover and bypass the DVD player's internal crossover.

Would this work?

Ranga

Stunt Coordinator
I was thinking about the ICBM but then I would still have to go through the DVD player's bass mgmt because I am using it's DD/DTS decoder. My pre/pro does not have any decoder.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Why not set all your speakers to LARGE via your DVD player's decoder/bass management, and then use the ICBM's bass management to really manage the bass?

Ranga

Stunt Coordinator
Scott
That's certainly one option that I am considering. The problem with that is -
1. I cannot set the sub to NONE, so the LFE goes to the sub out. I can connect the sub-out to the sub-in of the pre-amp. But I am not sure if the sub-out from the pre-amp will continue to carry the LFE signal.
2. I have an external DAC feeding into the pre-amp's CD input and I am using more expensive cables for the fronts from the pre/pro to the amp. If I connect the ICBM between the pre/pro and the amp (that's probably the best connection in my case), I will have to add another set of these cables (at $150/pair). That will be a $500 investment (still cheaper than a new Outlaw 950 I suppose :))
At this point, I may stick with using the 100Hz crossover on the DVD player for HT, and the 80Hz crossover on the pre/pro for stereo (through the DAC) with two different EQ settings on the BFD.
With the 100Hz on music, I can localize the sub while it is not an issue with HT. I will probably save up for a new universal DVD player when the standards evolve.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks