Bass management questions for new setup

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Michael__M, Jan 28, 2004.

1. Michael__M

Michael__M Stunt Coordinator

I am assembling my new system tonight and have a bass management issue to deal with. The new set is as follows:
    Yamaha RX-V640,PSB Image 5t mains, Image 9C center, Infinity IL-10s for rear, Velodyne DLS 3500 sub ( will be replaced by SVS next month)

My Yam's sub output is has a built in, fixed 80hz crossover. Should I ...

A)Set all speakers to small and use the sub out. This would cut all speakers ar 80hz and send everything else to the sub. The only reservation I have with this is the idea of wasting the lower end extension of my new towers. The supposed advantage would be better sound from mids and highs. I would bypass the crossover on the sub.

B)Set mains to large and use the main pre-out from the Yam to send full signal to the sub and use it's internal crossover. I would set it at about 45-50 to take over where the towers should (I'll have to measure this) lay down. Should blend nicely but would I be pushing to towers too hard this way.

My receiver is a bit underpowered at 85w per channel (optimistically estimated). Should I even ask the mains to handle the lower end at all? Ideally I wish I had a variable or non-filtered sub out to use. I have read that using the internal 80hz on the rec along with the on board x-over on the sub can cause some problems of its own.

Thanks for all the help and comments I have received to aid in my decision making. I am quickly becoming addicted to this forum and HT.

2. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

WHy not try both and see what sounds better? Post your results here.

3. John S

John S Producer

The issue I most often find with this. Is if you do not use the LFE / Sub out, then LFE on movies never seems to be as dramatic as it is supposed to be.

I would definetly audition all the various ways to manage it. I'll bet in the end, you go with the 80hz xover for HT, and then maybe a 2 channel no sub at all for music perhaps?

PS: I don't own the receiver, and have not had much experience with Yammy AVR's in general.

4. Steve_Ma

Steve_Ma Second Unit

I think your best bet is scenario A. But, if it sounds better to you, go with B.
    Take a look at the following article.
    Pay particular attention to the last paragraph. That and the info preceeding it directly addresses your concern about "wasting" the lower end of tower speakers when set to "small" and using the "sub out".

Regards,
    --Steve

5. Michael__M

Michael__M Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the responses. That was a very informative article. I was 100% sure that the sub out option was the best until he put that last sentence in there. "It's definitely better to do it this way, unless it sounds better the other way." I will play with everything tonight (and probably for days to come) and see how it goes. One thing I started thinking about was my receiver. If I set the speakers to small on the mains, do the main pre-outs get filtered? I would think the answer is yes. How about the tape out? Does it have the full LFE and bass material? Is it affected by the receivers bass management settings? I would look at the manual but it took me a day to find out if the sub out was filtered at all. Ideally I would like to have a receiver that had adjustable x-over frequencies for the HP and unfiltered sub-out to be able to control this. Damn, another upgrade already. I may have to repost this in the proper area. Thanks again for the replies.

6. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

"In the majority of surround sound processors and receivers, FULL RANGE copies of all channels set to "Small" are combined together with the LFE channel, and the sum is low-passed. Think about that. Strictly speaking, any* such processor with a sub/sat crossover frequency set lower than 120 Hz is "discarding" the upper end of the LFE channel. THX units are NOT exempt from this. With the standard THX 80 Hz 4th order crossover, the top of the LFE channel gets chucked."

That might make me rethink my 60hz crossover point on my Denon 3803. Does anyone know a way to check and see if a receiver does this?

7. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

In practice, they don't usually put anything above 80 Hz into LFE, Brian.

DJ