David_Stein

Second Unit
Real Name
David_Stein
i think i have things set up right, but i figured i would ask to make sure:

onkyo tx-ds575x reciever

jbl nsp1 speaker package

jbl pb10 sub

right now i have all the speakers set to small, subwoofer on, and the subwoofer set to LFE (as opposed to normal) which according to the manual bypasses the subs' own crossover

am i correct in assuming that that the reciever is doing all the bass management (and that letting the receiever doing the x-over type stuff is best), or should i have the sub set to normal and be using its own crossover?

Ron Eastman

Second Unit
Yes, it's best to let the receiver handle the bass management in most situations.

The other option is to run your mains large, set "no" for subwoofer on your receiver and run your mains through the sub to let the sub handle the crossover duties. The downside of this method is that you are needlessly running a powered signal to the sub when you could be using those watts to power the mains leaving you with extra headroom. This method is usually only best when the receivers crossover is too high and is not adjustable.

VinhT

Second Unit
Don't forget to fiddle with the crossover frequency setting on the receiver so you get the best blend between your satellites and sub.

David_Stein

Second Unit
Real Name
David_Stein
good call, ill do that tonight, my speakers are supposed to have range to 75Hz, but im probably going to want to set the xover higher right?

Ron Eastman

Second Unit
For best results, I've seen recommendations to set your crossover 1/2 to 1 octave higher than the lowest flat response of your speakers. If your receiver lets you set it for 100Hz you should be fine, an 80Hz setting is probably too low but if you don't have another option you probably won't notice a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks