Bass Management Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by HalS, Dec 22, 2001.

1. HalS

HalS Stunt Coordinator

Ok, here are the facts. Hopefully, some of the experts here can help me out.

I have a Marantz SR-19 THX reciever. Crossover is fixed at 80.

I have an Energy 8" sub. I can't go any larger right now because I live in a luxury apartment building and don't want to blow my neighbors away.

I have my speakers set all to small as per the recommendation by Marantz.

The sub has two different choices for Low Level Input: Subwoofer Input or XOVER Input.

Subwoofer Input is what I am using right now and I have it set at the highest point...100HZ.

After reading some of the threads on bass management, I decided to give it a try through the XOVER Input. My problem is that I found it very hard to properly calibrate the sub levels properly when using the XOVER Input. According to Avia, my levels were way off and I couldn't seem to get them right.

I have much better success setting the levels when I use the Sub Input and set the volume on the sub.

My question is which do people here think I should use? Should I be using XOVER Input (which as I understand it then turns all bass management over to the SR-19)? And if so, does anyone have any thoughts on why calibration is so hard in that scenario?

2. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

Using the external crossover jack has the effect of turning the volume on the sub's pot all the way up. Calibration shouldn't be difficult- you just need to trim it down from the receiver- same as you would if you turned the volume knob on the sub to the max.

3. HalS

HalS Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the quick response.

I'm getting excellent bass at the moment (considering the size of the sub of course). Do I really need to go to the External Crossover or should I just leave it, do you think?

Also, perhaps I should mention, this question only applies to watching of movies. 2 channel music I listen to via Marantz's direct mode, which routes the bass to the fronts.

4. Brian Fellmeth

5. HalS

HalS Stunt Coordinator

The major problem is that when I do the sub/speaker matching test on Avia, it's way out of whack through the Extrernal Crossover setting.

When I use the Sub Input and the volume, I can get it calibrated perfectly. But some reason, when I use the External Crossover, I adjust the reciever so that it registers properly on the THX test tones at 75 but it's totally off when using Avia and no matter how much I adjust the sub output level on the reciever, I can't seem to get it calibrated properly.

Any ideas/suggestions as to why that might be?

6. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

The external crossover input means just that, it means you are using the external crossover that is inside your receiver. Using the subwoofer input, you are crossing over at 80 hz inside the receiver and again at 100 hz in to the subwoofer, so the subwoofer may be losing more bass than it should. The slopes overlap. Which sound better when set as good as you can get it?

7. Brian Fellmeth

Hal: I'm a little confused.

8. HalS

HalS Stunt Coordinator

The problem I'm having is actually on the Avia tests.

There's the test where first they do pink noise from the left front and then the bass is supposed to be at pretty much the same reading on the sound meter.

When I use the External Crossover, the bass is always a good 5-6 DBs higher. Which shouldn't be the case if you believe Avia. I can turn down the sub setting on my reciever but then on the reciever test tones, it is well under 75 DBs.

9. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

10. HalS

HalS Stunt Coordinator

It isn't necessarily lowering/raising bass overall-

rather with the sub input you calibrate with the receiver tones and then double check with avia's bass tones and eveything is fine...

and with the "xover" input you calibrate with the receiver tones and then double check with avia's bass tones and eveything is wrong?

-----------------

You've got it right. I imagine it has something to do with the volume settings not in use on the sub when the External Crossover is used.

I generally have the volume on the sub set to 5. Since the External Crossover then basically makes it so that the sub is set to 10, no matter how I adjust the reciever, I can't seem to get it calibrated properly. This doesn't really make sense to me, which is why I was asking the question.

I may have to go back and try it yet again.

Is it really that bad to use the Sub Input and have the sub's crossover set at 100Hz? I get outstanding bass I'd say for such a small sub. It sounds like the risk is small that there would be a conflict between the two crossovers.

Thanks again.