What's new

Bass Management question from Avia (1 Viewer)

Thomas B

Agent
While setting up my system with Avia, I have encountered a question with the bass management. I have a powered 75W subwoofer, connected by a RCA line-level connection to my Onkyo 595 receiver. During the calibrations for bass management, the test tones calibrate evenly for all speakers using the sound level meter (with all speakers set to "small".) However, on listening in close proximity to the subwoofer, I hear virtually NO sound from the sub, with all of the bass coming from my front speakers during the RF and LF test tones. But, the center channel and surround tones all have strong bass tones from the subwoofer. The entire system is calibrated equally from the primary listening position, but should the sub be silent in respect to the front speakers? I have the sub's crossover set at 90 Hz (with the only other options on my sub being 60 and 140 Hz.) Is this normal? Thanks!

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
Do you have all your speakers set to small? If your mains are set to large and center/surround to small, it'll do what you're describing.

Thomas B

Agent
Jeremy, you hit the cause of the problem! I thought that I had ALL of my speakers set to small, but I went back through setup on the Onkyo, and . . . you guessed it . . . I had the front speakers set to large. After changing this to small, the bass was strong from the subwoofer for all speakers by Avia's calibrations. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks